Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-20-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to blando233
Default Router/Modem Question

Hey guys,

So i have a router/modem from Time Warner and the wireless signal sucks. So i got a DLINK wirless router. I took a cable from port 1 from the Modem/Router to the DLINK on port 1 (not the internet port).. i get internet etc but i sometimes cut in and out. I was playing a game and all of a sudden i would lose connection. I also noticed i would be on the internet jsut fine and then just lose connection and the page cannot be displayed. Any ideas how i can fix this. Do i need to configure something in the router?

THanks!

Old 07-20-2013, 11:51 PM   #2
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Well my first question is why didn't you plug the modem into the router's internet port? Most modems have a dhcp server built in to serve a computer with an ip address and now you're mixing that with the router's dhcp server. I'm honestly surprised you are not having more problems.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:35 AM   #3
Golden Master

Default Re: Router/Modem Question

If your getting bad wireless signals I'd buy a range extender, I have this one WN2500RP, Very simple to setup and works like a charm..
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #4
In Runtime

Well when i went form port 1 from the Router/Modem to the internet port on the DLINK i was getting nothing for internet. Once i plugged it into port 1 i was getting internet.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
Wizard of Wires

My Uverse modem/router recognizes when another router has been added. It shows the subnet options. I added the other router in from port 4 of the ATT box to port 1 on it.
In the programming on the add on router I choose dynamic IP address and disabled the DHCP. On the ATT box I disabled the wireless and enabled the 2.4 and 5 ghz wireless on the other one.
It works, you just have to diddle with it for a minute.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #6
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blando233 View Post
Well when i went form port 1 from the Router/Modem to the internet port on the DLINK i was getting nothing for internet. Once i plugged it into port 1 i was getting internet.
Turn off all of your computers, unplug your router from power, plug the modem into the internet port on the router, unplug the modem from power. Wait a minute. Plug the modem back into power, wait a minute. Plug the router back into power and turn all the computers on. Assuming the router is set to receive a DHCP/Automatic IP from Time Warner you should be good to go from there.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
Turn off all of your computers, unplug your router from power, plug the modem into the internet port on the router, unplug the modem from power. Wait a minute. Plug the modem back into power, wait a minute. Plug the router back into power and turn all the computers on. Assuming the router is set to receive a DHCP/Automatic IP from Time Warner you should be good to go from there.
Ok i will try this out and see what happens. Thanks i will let you know if this fixs it. I will also diddle with it :P