Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-08-2009, 03:16 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Exclamation Router Connect Correctly Still No Connection

Router Model:Netgear WGR614 V9

I have my netgear router connected correctly,but during the smart wizard setup I get no connection to the internet.What can i do to solve this issue?I need my network reconfigred but I don't have a warranty with netgear no more.

Thanks

odom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Router Connect Correctly Still No Connection

Well, is this the first time your setting it up? If so then call your ISP. Some do MAC filtering and need to update the modem to give the internet to the router instead of your computer.

If that isn't the problem, they should help you set it up right. It's possible that you need to put in some kind of setting (maybe PPPoE or static info). If you don't have that info on file, they should be able to look it up and help you configure the router correctly.

jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacavali View Post
Well, is this the first time your setting it up? If so then call your ISP. Some do MAC filtering and need to update the modem to give the internet to the router instead of your computer.

If that isn't the problem, they should help you set it up right. It's possible that you need to put in some kind of setting (maybe PPPoE or static info). If you don't have that info on file, they should be able to look it up and help you configure the router correctly.
Turns out my problem is the router is bricked.I just gotta go buy a new one.Thanks for your suggestions,but that's not the case.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by odom41 View Post
Turns out my problem is the router is bricked.I just gotta go buy a new one.Thanks for your suggestions,but that's not the case.
Have you tried resetting the router?
Russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:26 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

That was going to be my last thing if we couldn't solve it any other way. Hopefully a new one gets things sorted out.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:09 AM   #6
Baseband Member

Quote:
That was going to be my last thing if we couldn't solve it any other way. Hopefully a new one gets things sorted out.
It should but can you recommend what i should look for in a router?

i have a horrible 1.5 mb connection
and a medium sized house
i don't need portability in my router.
i need atleast 4 wired ports for the routers
and i don't mean to sound stupid of course wireless
Old 08-10-2009, 07:46 AM   #7
Fully Optimized

Well, nearly every router out there is wireless and has 4 ports built in. What you want to look for is range and speed. Wireless N technology is the latest and greatest but also costs the most. Also your devices are probably only wireless G anyway so they would only connect at G speeds. If you could find a router with signal boost it would probably cover your whole house. It just depends on so many things that it's hard to say. Things like water pipes, insulation, solid/thick walls, electrical pipes, etc all play a factor. With that being said here's what I use:

Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router
http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...e=UTF8&index=0
Old 08-10-2009, 07:57 AM   #8
Baseband Member

Quote:
Well, nearly every router out there is wireless and has 4 ports built in. What you want to look for is range and speed. Wireless N technology is the latest and greatest but also costs the most. Also your devices are probably only wireless G anyway so they would only connect at G speeds. If you could find a router with signal boost it would probably cover your whole house. It just depends on so many things that it's hard to say. Things like water pipes, insulation, solid/thick walls, electrical pipes, etc all play a factor. With that being said here's what I use:

Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router
http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...e=UTF8&index=0
y does that router cost so much on Amazon?
Old 08-10-2009, 11:17 AM   #9
Fully Optimized

I didn't even look at the price. I was only trying to find some picks of it. That is kind of a standard price. You can probably find one for about $50 or so at a Wal-Mart store.