Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-27-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default router

i have me a linksys wireless broadband wrt54gp2a-at router,and i want to install it but i don't have the installation cd..i went to the linksys an i can't seem to find the drivers on there for the router..is there still away that i can use this router or is it cheaper to just trow it away?

shadydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
Baseband Member

Send a message via AIM to Rickeh69 Send a message via MSN to Rickeh69
Default Re: router

Why do you need to install the router? I have a Linksys, I didn't use the install CD, I just plugged it in, set it up and bam, working router.

If you need help setting it up, let me know.
Hope I can help you in the future.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeh69 View Post
Why do you need to install the router? I have a Linksys, I didn't use the install CD, I just plugged it in, set it up and bam, working router.

If you need help setting it up, let me know.
Hope I can help you in the future.
i would really appriciate the help..i tried hooking it up..biut i don't get no internbet neither on my my desktop nor my laptop..
Old 01-28-2010, 04:35 AM   #4
Site Team

Are the computers wireless or cabled? Does windows show that you're connected? Can you access one computer from the other? If you know your router's IP address, type it in your browser - do you get a configuration page pop up?

If it's just internet you can't get chances are you just need to log in to your router and configure it properly.

You don't install drivers for routers - they conform to the same, standard network protocols that your PC and laptop need to conform to. So, in simple terms, they don't need any other software to tell them how to do it.
berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
Solid State Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry120 View Post
Are the computers wireless or cabled? Does windows show that you're connected? Can you access one computer from the other? If you know your router's IP address, type it in your browser - do you get a configuration page pop up?

If it's just internet you can't get chances are you just need to log in to your router and configure it properly.

You don't install drivers for routers - they conform to the same, standard network protocols that your PC and laptop need to conform to. So, in simple terms, they don't need any other software to tell them how to do it.
Ya, pretty much everything he just said . . . you shouldn't have to install software, to my knowledge.
ace070590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:23 PM   #6
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry120 View Post

i can get into the routers page when i type in 192.168.1.1 into the browser...i set it to obtain ip automatically.then i went into the mac adress an enabled it then clone it..after that i restarted the computer but still i get no internet through the router.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:53 AM   #7
Fully Optimized

You have to call your ISP. There are probably settings that they need to configure in the router to enable the interent (might be static IP, might be a username/password that you have to put it, etc, etc).
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:59 AM   #8
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacavali View Post
You have to call your ISP. There are probably settings that they need to configure in the router to enable the interent (might be static IP, might be a username/password that you have to put it, etc, etc).
what i dnt understand is that i have another router but that one hads the cd..that one werks
Old 01-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #9
Fully Optimized

The CD's don't have anything to do with it. The settings are already correct in the old router -- that's why it works. You could hook it up, look at the settings in it, and copy them to the new router.

Some ISP also will only allow their modem to pass the interent to specific MAC addresses. So it's possible they have the old router MAC on file instead of the new one.

jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote