Request for help setting up a network

Latinkon

Beta member
Gday,
I have a microlink scholar laptop running vista professional (its a pretty high spec machine) and a samsung nc10 running plain old xp.

I cant get any networks to work! when i connect a cable i get a message saying limited connectivity, i have tried bluetooth and had the same problem.

When i take my samsung into uni where there is a wireless connection i cant even acess that (and my two friends who have exactly the same model look at me like im mad! :D ).

I keep changing network settings and then undoing the changes and nothing works! the even wierder thing is that they both connect to my home wireless connection (tiscali with a seimens router)! (after sweating blood setting them up on both acounts! :mad: ).

Ive tried hamachi on the scholar in the past to no avail and ive been left wondering if i have some sort of networking curse! i would realy appreciate any advice im at my wits end!

Thanks

Check your TCP/IP settings and make sure they're dynamic (not staticly assigned by the computer itself), and not just set up for your home network.

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network Connections >
Then select the given network connection you use (either Local Area or Wireless)
Right click and select properties
On the far left tab, midway down the window, scroll through that screen, and select TCP/IP and select properties or settings (whichever it is)
Now make sure they are assigned automatically.

great thanks its a bit better at picking up wireless networks now

im still having trouble netowrking the computers though

How are you still having trouble?

thats what i keep asking myself! (with my higrade comp it goes beyong all possibility hamachi didnt work direct networks or through a router didn't work, wireless didnt work, bluetooth didnt work...) i think im radioactive...

I would make sure both are set up to allow file and printer sharing, and both are on the same workgroup... Try going through this thread and seeing if this helps.

K.
thanks il have a look although i generally have both those things ok

Most likely it is your internet settings.... Sometimes you could have something disabled that needs to be enabled in order to use the internet... I would check your services... I would also check and make sure none of your hardware is disabled or drivers are not properly installed (Device Manager)... If both of those are not the problem... (which you may have to spend a good amount of time in the services to make sure that there is no problem there)... Sometimes you might have to create a network on the computer using the specified device...

Back
Top Bottom