Remote gaming

Rmp5s

In Runtime
I googled the hell out of this and couldn't find anything recent. I've been seeing lots of advances with RDP/VNC type tech and cell phones so I wonder if tech has advanced enough that this is possible:

I have an older Dell D630 that, obviously, is all but incapable of playing games beyond Pocket Tanks and Battlefield Vietnam. It's a decent-enough-ish computer though. But...I do have a gaming rig at home. I was wondering how I could play games using RDP or VNC or something?

I tried VNC once...like...6 months ago and, come to find out, the VNC protocol has to query the video card for refreshes every however long which leads to crazy lag. Obviously this won't work. I've never tried RDP though. Is it any better? Is there another way? I saw a long time ago some company made a way to play WoW on the iPhone where the phone itself just handled displaying the video and handled the inputs...everything else was processed remotely and this is exactly what I'm trying to do but with my laptop. Process the game and do the heavy lifting on my desktop at home but see and control everything with my laptop.

I know a good network connection would be required which isn't a problem. Even some lag would be tolerable as long as the frame rates were steady.

Just looking for ideas. Thanks!

i think rdp will be your answer, it handles the graphics quite well, I use RDP all the time and the graphic refresh is quite good

Sweet. I'll check it out. It doesn't have to be perfect...just good enough. That'll be easy to set up as I already implemented VLC at my house (port forwarding, dynamic dns, etc). The switch to RDP should be easy.

And, side note, just read your sig! You're the owner of this site!? Awesome. I feel special...rofl

All bs aside, love the site!! I come here quite often for random little blurbs such as this as well as for help with actual problems. Thanks for hosting an awesome site!

WoW didn't work too well for me when RDPed in, and that was with both computers on the same network clabled with cat6... but if you're in to slower things, like questing, where lag doesn't make much of a difference, it should work fine for you. I should also note that my settings weren't all the way down.

GL, come back with a reply please :) I'm curious to see how it works.

Back
Top Bottom