remote desktop

David Ireland

Baseband Member
Hi..I know how to use Remote Desktop with computers in a network,but how do you connect using remote desktop to a computer from the internet, and not a router. Ill be going away for a bit and id like to use my home computer. I'll have a highspeed connection (5mbps) on both sides. How can i do this? Thanks.

Setup port-forwarding for the remote desktop protocol to go to a specific IP address within your network. Don't remember what port it is, but you should be able to find it by Googleing. Once you have that setup, you will need the IP address on the outside of your cable modem or DSL modem. These change from time to time, unless you pay for a static IP address from your ISP. Then you launch Remote Desktop Connection from the PC your at, and use the IP address that your ISP has for your modem. Once it hits the modem, it will go to the router, and the router will forward it to the port on your computer that accepts it (the IP address you specified)

You need to forward two ports to your Windows XP Professional-based computer: TCP port 3389, which Remote Desktop requires, and the port you specified in the TCP Port field in Internet Information Services
Got this info from here under configure your router

Back
Top Bottom