Questions about cat6 being terminated rj-11/12's

ChampMark

Baseband Member
What I'm wondering if is there a specifc scheme for cat6 being terminated with rj-11/12.

The reason I ask, is because I'm planning on running cat6 all over the house. And I figured if I'm gonna be cutting up drywall I might as well replace the old cat3 phone wires.

Might as well hit 2 birds with one stone ya know?

I understand if I just keep the colors on the wire correctly matched with the pins, it wont be a huge deal really. Cause as long as the colors match the rj11's on both sides wont be a big issue.

I might follow the wire pattern on a cat5e for the cat6 with the rj-11/12's. I've found plenty of wiring schemes for cat5e, and cat6 is just a higher quality cable. Same wiring pattern from what I've read.

Also, if I go with a 4 pin plug for the house, since the cat6 comes in 8 wires, can I just stick 2 wires in one housing? I mean I would do the exact same color scheme on both sides of the wires no doubt.

Now I'm not going to pretend to be an expert in networking, If by one housing, you mean like one wall jack thiny yes. As long as you can find a good face plate for it your good to go.

I do know that Cat5e and Cat6 are just different quality cables. Both can do gigabit ethernet and all that fun stuff. But as for wiring you can do the same thing with both.

Back
Top Bottom