Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-13-2016, 02:25 PM   #1
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: uk
Posts: 14
Default Question on networking - Who can see who..?

I have a question... I have shown it in an image:



Main router => Tor computer will be a wireless connection.

Tor computer => laptop will be ethernet.. and the laptop has NO WiFi, ONLY ethernet.
__________________

KingNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:22 PM   #2
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: uk
Posts: 14
Default Re: Question on networking - Who can see who..?

Alright.
I came to the conclusion that this is all a waste of time.

A hacker (especially nation state) would hack your main home router.

Then hack your endpoint laptop.

Then they can see that both are connected to a dedicated Tor router in the middle, through its MAC address or other identifier, such as device name.

So they can see that both are connected to the same dedicated Tor router, and thus, they can see who you are that way.

So unless you are confident that you can secure your main home router, then this idea of a dedicated Tor router is hopeless.

You would be better off using a QUBES live disc and ONLY use Tor from the very start.

As the internal NSA Snowden documents say, "one page request" is all it takes to hack you.. but note, they can only do this page request if you are actually connecting via your real IP address.

Therefore, use a QUBES live disc, use TOR ONLY (never mix it up with clearnet), and make sure your BIOS is freshly installed, and then just cross your fingers and hope you don't get hacked while using Tor browser. By all means, use NoScript etc.
__________________

KingNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:29 PM   #3
Site Team
 
berry120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 3,425
Default Re: Question on networking - Who can see who..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNeil View Post
Alright.
I came to the conclusion that this is all a waste of time.

A hacker (especially nation state) would hack your main home router.
How? There's no magic vulnerabilities sitting in these things (unless you're running old firmware, have an insecure password, or both.)
Quote:
Then hack your endpoint laptop.
Again, someone can't just magically hack into a laptop if they're a skilled hacker - that's a complete misconception. Unless you're running OS / software with known exploits, there's not much they can do here either.
Quote:
Then they can see that both are connected to a dedicated Tor router in the middle, through its MAC address or other identifier, such as device name.

So they can see that both are connected to the same dedicated Tor router, and thus, they can see who you are that way.

So unless you are confident that you can secure your main home router, then this idea of a dedicated Tor router is hopeless.

You would be better off using a QUBES live disc and ONLY use Tor from the very start.
If they've managed to get this far, then of course whatever you do is hopeless - but this isn't a default situation, you'd have to have some major holes in more than one aspect of your networking setup for them to get this far.
Quote:
As the internal NSA Snowden documents say, "one page request" is all it takes to hack you.. but note, they can only do this page request if you are actually connecting via your real IP address.
Sure, some attacks would only require one request, but you'd still need scanning / investigation to see exactly what attacks would be feasible.
Quote:
Therefore, use a QUBES live disc, use TOR ONLY (never mix it up with clearnet), and make sure your BIOS is freshly installed, and then just cross your fingers and hope you don't get hacked while using Tor browser. By all means, use NoScript etc.
BIOS is freshly installed? Eh? And noscript? (Javascript exploits do exist, but they're few and far between these days and generally don't offer anywhere near the level of privilege escalation that you're alluding to.)
__________________
Save the whales, feed the hungry, free the mallocs.
berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0