question about home networking

filletmignon90

Beta member
i am planning to establish or at least learn how to establish a home network and any tips or advice would be welcome. Also, i would like to know if it is possible to share a dial up internet connection between the computers in my network. Would this be very extremely slow or impossible? i'm sure it'll work with DSL but i wanted to know if it worked with a dial up connection as well. :cool:

you can share any internet connection in theory, but in reality sharing a dial up connection will mean that both computers access the net at a snails pace.

Do you have a BT phone? if so, sign up for a basic adsl account at www.plus.net. some accounts are under £15 i think.

what OS do you have. I think from Win 98 SE, sharing a network connection is possible. WIndows XP makes it very easy.

Or, when you sign up for ADSL, buy a adsl ethernet router, then both computers plug directly intot he "internet connection" so you dont have to rely on one computer being on for the other one to access the internet.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A FIREWALL and ANTIVIRUS software!!!

Good Luck

If you have XP; search on 'Help and Support' for Networking and there is a good talk through of how to do it and what you'll need.

Broadband is now very cheap and easy to get; it is best if you want to share the Internet to get it.

Back
Top Bottom