Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-25-2007, 11:17 PM   #1
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3
Default Proxys in Router Logs

If i use a proxy, will the proxy's address show up in the router I'm surfing from's log, or will the sites I'm surfing.
__________________

chillinhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
BSOD
 
0x0161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 441
Default Re: Proxys in Router Logs

__________________

0x0161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:28 PM   #3
BSOD
 
0x0161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 441
Default Re: Proxys in Router Logs

Quote:
If i use a proxy, will the proxy's address show up in the router I'm surfing from's log, or will the sites I'm surfing
If you use a proxy server from http://www.publicproxyservers.com/page1.html

for example, YES they will log what sites you do visit with their proxy server. (server side) However, if you open IE and configure the proxy server to work with your web browser no your home router will not detect the proxy servers IP address unless you configured it too. Mine is not setup like this. However, I am more of a fan of TOR myself. Well some of my homeboys like using torpark

which can run from a usb key. http://www.download.com/Torpark/3000...-10586816.html

Also, VMWARE http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/392
0x0161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:53 PM   #4
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3
Default Re: Proxys in Router Logs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x0161 View Post
If you use a proxy server from http://www.publicproxyservers.com/page1.html

for example, YES they will log what sites you do visit with their proxy server. (server side) However, if you open IE and configure the proxy server to work with your web browser no your home router will not detect the proxy servers IP address unless you configured it too. Mine is not setup like this. However, I am more of a fan of TOR myself. Well some of my homeboys like using torpark

which can run from a usb key. http://www.download.com/Torpark/3000...-10586816.html

Also, VMWARE http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/392
I'm running the proxy server on a server of mine, and have set firefox to use it. So the router I'm on is going to still show the address' of the sites i visit?

I prefer to run my own setup rather than something like TOR and using their servers.

What other options are available to me? Tunneling everything through SSH?

I want to keep the sites i visit hidden from router, and prevent packet sniffing.
chillinhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:46 PM   #5
BSOD
 
0x0161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 441
Talking Re: Proxys in Router Logs

Quote:
I'm running the proxy server on a server of mine, and have set firefox to use it. So the router I'm on is going to still show the address' of the sites i visit?
Just watch out which firefox extensions you install. Their are a few that can reval your info behind a proxy server (zip code) as an *example*.

Quote:
So the router I'm on is going to still show the address' of the sites i visit?
By default usually NO. Im sure their are options in the routers GUI to allow to track sites of visitors if not, their is 3rd party software out their that can do this. Really depends on the manufacture of of the router.


Quote:
I prefer to run my own setup rather than something like TOR and using their servers.
Thats kool and I can understand why.


Quote:
What other options are available to me? Tunneling everything through SSH?




I want to keep the sites i visit hidden from router, and prevent packet sniffing

Just a little FYI, Tor uses SSL to encrypt all data, and doesn't even leak DNS requests, unlike some proxy servers. As long as it's configured properly and using an appropriate proxy (such as Privoxy, which comes in the bundle).
TOR cannot offer 100% total anonmity so If the connection to the website is not secure (e.g https) then the last gateway will be able to see (and potentially sniff) all traffic.
Thus, it is vitally important when using TOR to check the server certificates and only use encrypted protocols (pop3-ssl, https) if you are logging in.
However, it is true that communication between nodes is encrypted so an intermediate node cannot intercept it.
0x0161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:04 PM   #6
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3
Default Re: Proxys in Router Logs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x0161 View Post
Just watch out which firefox extensions you install. Their are a few that can reval your info behind a proxy server (zip code) as an *example*.
I'm not using an extension, just went into firefox settings and put my proxy details in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x0161 View Post
By default usually NO. Im sure their are options in the routers GUI to allow to track sites of visitors if not, their is 3rd party software out their that can do this. Really depends on the manufacture of of the router.

I'm already almost positive the router I'm on is set to track sites, my question is how can i tunnel my traffic through a proxy or something similiar, that way the address shown in the traffic log on the router will be the proxy ip not the sites i visit?

Will tunneling traffic through ssh do this?

I don't understand why the sites you visit would show up in the router log instead of the proxy address, since your not directly connected to the sites, the proxy is taking the sites data and forwarding it to you, so it looks to me like the router would show a connection to the proxy ip.
__________________

chillinhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0