Problem with Placement of Rack, ISP provider, WiFi

Slevin1

Beta member
Hello. Being my first post, I will let you know I've been working in the IT industry for about 12 years now. I just wanted to get an idea of what you would reccomed as the best solution to my problem.

Issue: What I have is a 22U rack with about 6 servers in it and a Cisco 3750G switch. The rack consists of a File and Print server (HP ML370) and 4 VMware servers (HP DL380 G4) and a Firewall (DL360 G4). My ISP comes into my home and is currently routed to my modem in my 2nd floor office. I have a WiFi router connected to this to provide WiFi to laptops etc.

No my problem is my rack weighs about 700+ lbs, I can't get the rack in the 2nd floor office, so physically I have to locate it in my basement which is unfinished. What is the best way for me to get my ISP going into my firewall for my network? I do not have a coax connection in my basement for the modem.

Should I place my modem on the 2nd floor and route a CAT-5 cable to the firewall?
Should I keep the modem in the 2nd floor office and use a Netgear Powerline HD Ethernet Adapter (HDX101) to connect to the Firewall via power/ethernet?
Should I get a coax connection in my basement and keep the modem down there and WiFi?

What options would you come up with. If I got the modem in the basement I would have to at least use a Powerline Adapter to provide network connectivity to the office computers.

Thanks for any assistance.

-Slevin

That's a lot of kit you've got there! With that much, I would honestly put all the engine works in the basement and keep it there (so put the modem in the basement and run coax) then run cat5 from there up to your office. With regards to getting the laptops to work, I'd honestly look at getting a separate wireless access point.

You may get away with running wifi from the basement, but I wouldn't recommend it - chances are it'll be intermittent and not work particularly well. I also wouldn't really recommend powerline adapters, I haven't heard great things about them. Cat5 takes a bit of effort to install but will be far superior thereafter.

As an aside the basement is a good place for huge racks anyway, especially in winter - the heat will rise up and keep the house warm!

This is exactly what I was thinking. I have a seperate AP for WiFi, I think I will just run a CAT-5 cable up the side of the stairs and cover it in tubing along the baseboard and put the AP in my family room.

Yeah, I've got about $500,000+ invested in the hardware and software. ESX isn't cheap lol. I used to run a Network Design and Consultation business, but I enede up working and traveling too much. Would like to find another niche' for my equipment though. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom