prioritizing bandwidth, is it possible?

scampo77

Solid State Member
i have 5 computers on my home network and what i would like to do is give 100% of my internet connection to which ever computer requires it.

example; i have computers named, A,B,C,D . D is used for downloading and is quite the hog at using internet, it will use as much as is availible. now computer C is for checking emails and possibly downloading. so now i need to shut down D usage and hand it over to computer C. so now computer D has 1% and computer C has 99%. until computer B needs to be used then B will be 98%---C will be 1%----D will be 1%. and so on. and when traffic stops then it has to give 100% back to computer D

is there a way to do this in real time? can this be solved with a QOS router?

please, i dont need advice like "well just shut down the computers you arent using" or "set them on timers to download during the night". i have been doing things like this for a long time and it is driving me crazy and its why i am here posting trying to get this straightened out.

I have never heard of anything like this or a situtation where this was needed. Sorry. (I know this is a worthless post, but I just wanted to let you know people are reading it).

I haven't either. Bandwidth is just a set number... amount of information to pass through... I don't think we have networking hardware smart enough to partition certain amounts to certain nodes. Maybe that would be a good masters thesis or doctoral dissertation for an Information Systems guy ;)

if the downloading that you're doing is via a program like bit torrent then yes you could use QOS to give preference to the web traffic and leave the bit torrent traffic on a lower preference.

I don't know if it's possible to use QOS based on a port, but it might be possible to use QOS on an IP address, I'm reasonably sure we're doing something not unlike this for a customer where I work. I'll see if I can have an ask about with the networking guys.

well thanks everyone for reading and offering what you can.

i think that port proritizing would work equally as well. so far the only options i can find are to just "reserve" speed for set applications. i dont want to give 10% of my internet for 100% of the day to a VOIP application just in case i get 1 phone call a week. this seems very inefficient.

would i have any easier time trying to just prioritize port numbers? i would have thought it would be easier to just shuffle everything to whichever IP/computer "asked" for it

ill try to describe my network maybe it will make an answer clearer

#1 is the VOIP phone, this is number one and when i get a call i want 100% or as close to it as possible
#2 the wife computer, this one hardly gets used and is mostly for emails, banking, not very demanding even at full use
#3 is a computer hooked to the tv so i can stream tv shows and movies
#4 my computer , same as my wifes computer except some downloading but not much
#5 downloading computer, thats all this thing does is upload and download all day everyday

right now if i download anything on #5 then i cant stream or use the phone and my wife starts barking because her computer slows to a crawl.

i have enough right now if i can just shuffle it around. right now i have to shut down the programs on certain computers or just shut them off. then the other computers work. even if i pay for the 10/mb/s service i would still use it all up on the download/upload computer and i would be right back where i am now except with a bigger internet bill every month

Why not just set a limit in your downloading program to only use 3/4 of it or whatever. Sure it wouldn't be as fast but at least you'd be able to use the other computers....

idk, i'm just throwing out ideas.

well thanks everyone for reading and offering what you can.

i think that port proritizing would work equally as well. so far the only options i can find are to just "reserve" speed for set applications. i dont want to give 10% of my internet for 100% of the day to a VOIP application just in case i get 1 phone call a week. this seems very inefficient.

would i have any easier time trying to just prioritize port numbers? i would have thought it would be easier to just shuffle everything to whichever IP/computer "asked" for it

ill try to describe my network maybe it will make an answer clearer

#1 is the VOIP phone, this is number one and when i get a call i want 100% or as close to it as possible
#2 the wife computer, this one hardly gets used and is mostly for emails, banking, not very demanding even at full use
#3 is a computer hooked to the tv so i can stream tv shows and movies
#4 my computer , same as my wifes computer except some downloading but not much
#5 downloading computer, thats all this thing does is upload and download all day everyday

right now if i download anything on #5 then i cant stream or use the phone and my wife starts barking because her computer slows to a crawl.

I agree, more bandwidth isn't the best solution...

you have a downloading program that will eat whatever bandwidth gets thrown at it...

at the same time, if nothing but the downloader program is using the line then you just want it to eat all the bandwidth it can.

QOS can do this. you;re not reserving half the line for voip or web browsing, you're prioritising that traffic, IF it is present.

Your bandwidth is being eaten alive by your streaming video and the upload/download computer. I have to assume the up/down computer is a peer 2 peer. You can limit the numbers of workers in the program you're using. As for the streaming TV programing, If you have cable why are you using this method? You can set up to have the media downloaded and stored for later playback. If you do that download in off peak hours around your house that will save on bandwidth needed for other uses.
But if you continue in the way you currently are configured, I would suggest getting a T-x (a 1, 2, or 3) line drawn in to your home. They're pricey but have the bandwidth and passthrough you need.

Back
Top Bottom