Printer Network Help!

dazisSt4tiX

Solid State Member
Heya guys, I picked up a HP LaserJet 2200dn from my school, they were going to throw it out after upgrading their stuff. It doesn't have the usb card in it, but it did have an ethernet port, so I took a ethernet cable, plugged in one end to my computer, and the other end to the printer, plugged it in, shoved some paper in it, and opened my network devices to find that there is nothing in there. I clicked add a printer, no printers show up. The printer is on and has no errors or flashing lights.

Any help?

The printer is designed to be connected to the network, directly to a router or switch. Ethernet does not work the way USB does.

Connect the printer to the network and download the software from HP. The software is usually pretty good at detecting the printer on the network and installing it.

yes this right and make sure you configure its Ip Address and default gateway at the moment it is looking at your school network not your and you have to tell it that and make sure that DHCP is disabled otherwise it will not work.

Kind Regards

press the go button and the cancel button at the same time.

This will print the configuration pages that should tell you the IP address that has been configured with this printer.

when you get the IP address you'll need to set your computers network card to match it, then you can connect to it and re-configure the printer so that it works on the network range that you want to use

press the go button and the cancel button at the same time.

This will print the configuration pages that should tell you the IP address that has been configured with this printer.

when you get the IP address you'll need to set your computers network card to match it, then you can connect to it and re-configure the printer so that it works on the network range that you want to use

Ok, I did that and I got this information out of it:
-----------------TCP/IP-----------------------
Host Name: Not Specified
IP Adress: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway: 0.0.0.0
Config By: Not Configured
BOOTP/DHCP Server: 0.0.0.0
TFTP Server: 0.0.0.0
Config File: Not Specified
Domain Name: Not Specified
Primary DNS Server: Not Specified
Secondary DNS Server: Not Specified
WINS Server: Not Specified
Idle Timeout: 90 sec
Web JetAdmin URL: Not Specified
mDNS Service Name: Not Specified

Judging by this information I would assume the config was wiped, or it configures itself automatically, I'm hoping for the latter.

I had a 5 port switch laying around, after hooking the printer to port 5, and my laptop to port 1, and whalah, nothing changed. In the bottom right corner where my wifi notifier is, it says Homeland2; Internet Access(wifi), and Unidentified Network; No Network Access(ethernet).

Refreshing Network Items and clicking Add a Printer did not help.

How do I configure this bad boy? I want it on my non-internet switch so my sister doesn't print troll faces and use up my paper all day(she does that) but I can still access it from my laptop and desktop.

I am trying to install the driver, it opens the add a printer box about 5 minutes through, and of course, nothing shows up as before.

Using a cheap a$$ dynex 5 port switch if it matters. Says both ports are active.

I am trying to install the driver, it opens the add a printer box about 5 minutes through, and of course, nothing shows up as before.

Using a cheap a$$ dynex 5 port switch if it matters. Says both ports are active.

Can you configure settings on the printer itself to make sure it is set to automatic. It's possible the previous network administrator had manually entered the settings for their network. Might be worth checking, then see if it shows up in Network places on your computer. Then install software and drivers.

Last edited:
Can you configure settings on the printer itself to make sure it is set to automatic. It's possible the previous network administrator had manually entered the settings for their network. Might be worth checking, then see if it shows up in Network places on your computer. Then install software and drivers.

EDIT: Sorry for the trouble guys, after investigating my printer for more buttons to press I found that what looked like a card slot is actually a 1284 ieee card, with a usb port on it *facepalm*

I plugged it in and it started printing fine.

Thanks for the help guys :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom