Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-11-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default please help! new computer cannot connect to internet even when wired

Im so frustrated I've been trying to get the internet on my new computer to work. I've been impatiently waiting for the parts to arrive and finally finished building it:

its 2.8 i7-930 quad core
gigybyte x58 MB
8Gb corsair RAM
velociraptor 10,000 rpm HDD

I forgot to order a wireless G adapter for my Linksys WRT54G Router and so I decided to just connect the internet wire from my router to my computer for the time being untill I get a wireless adapter.

However, I can barely load google even with the internet cable plugged in and its getting frustrating because I am sitting on my macbook using the same internet connection WIRELESSLY at normal speeds and yet my brand new quad core can't load the same site even with a physical connection.

Somebody please help!!

btw Im using windows 7 and my ISP is cablevision

Ok, I fixed it. Turns out I had to reset my network adapter. For anyone else struggling with this on Windows 7 here is the fix that worked for me:

start> right click My Computer > properties > device manager > disable your network adapter and then enable it.

However, I seem to have to do this everytime I boot. Does anyone know how I can fix that?

parliament718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:47 AM   #2
Site Team
Default Re: please help! new computer cannot connect to internet even when wired

Make sure your driver for your NIC is updated and Windows 7 compatible.
Don't take life too seriously -- no one gets out alive. Plus, who wants to arrive to the hereafter in pristine condition wearing a suit and tie?
I want to slide in sideways, worn out, used up, hair a mess, clothes tattered, & screaming, "Whooo! What a ride!"
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote