Please Help....insanity at my desktop

Zcustom92

Beta member
:confused:

Ok so this is something that has had me stumped for a few days now. When i boot my computer and login, my wireless adapter automatically connects via DHCP. The IP address of the DHCP is 192.168.1.64 and the default gateway is 192.168.0.1 Okay, so an IP address class of 192 signifies a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 BUT when i go into the command promt and use ipconfig /all it tells me that the subnet that was givin from the DHCP is 255.255.0.0.

SO... that is one problem, but then i decided to connect statically. So i changed my IP to 192.168.10.22 with a sub of 255.255.255.0 , same default, and a DNS of 4.2.2.2, and an alternate DNS of 4.2.2.3
I still was connected to the internet BUT! I could not access webpages.(still) The icon was stating that i was receiving signal, and there was no connection problem, yet i could not get webpages. Then out of nowhere, i could connect.... But this is a very intermitent problem..... I will be only the internet for a couple of hours, then i wont be able to recieve any webpages, (while adapter still indicates connectivity).

So i go back to the command line and ping everything, and everything is fine, except for the DNS. It says that connection timed out, on all four packets..... But there is another mystery.... 30 minutes to an hour later, ill be able to connect, but just to make sure i can truely connect, i go back and ping the DNS and it says that the first TWO packets get received. the 3rd DOES NOT, and the fourth does. But for some reason, i can get webpages....????!?!

So my questions are:
Why is it that when i connect with DHCP does it give me a CLASS "B" subnet.(with a class "c" IP value)
Why do does my adapter show signal and connectivity; however i cannot access webpages?
Why can i get the first two and fourth network packets back but, not the third when i ping the DNS, yet i can get webpages?
And why does this happen so much?!?!?!

I would suggest connecting your computer straight to the modem.
Attempt a ping of the DNS server that is being funky.
See the result.

To me it sounds like the DNS server is acting up.

You would have connectivity but no internet usually only and only if the router is not receiving internet.
Which means you are connected to your network. But the network is not receiving internet.

If connecting straight to the modem does not help. Call your ISP.

Ive thought about calling my ISP to see what the deal is, because i've also connected straight into my modem, and for some reason, there still is no difference. I thought that at first it might have been a problem with my cheepo wireless adapter, but then when i connected and same thing happend i knew that wasnt the case. But why am i still getting a class B IP address with a 192 value? set by the DHCP?

Ive thought about calling my ISP to see what the deal is, because i've also connected straight into my modem, and for some reason, there still is no difference. I thought that at first it might have been a problem with my cheepo wireless adapter, but then when i connected and same thing happend i knew that wasnt the case. But why am i still getting a class B IP address with a 192 value? set by the DHCP?

This talks IP addresses, should help you understand it.
Click Here

Wow, now im really confused. OK just to break some more crap down... I know how binary works, etc, etc,. I know who to calculate binary values with a given IP address already. What i dont get is, the website that you gave me to go look at, still proposes one problem. But also added one other...

The website didnt tell me anything that i didnt already understand, unless im just overlooking something. Also the website would just still prove my question... why is an IP address of 192.168.1.64 still getting a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0.

The website also posed another question to me.. There is a link at near the bottom of that website that says "check your IP" or something like that. And i clicked it and it said my IP address was 70.?.?.? (couldnt remember the figures) ANYWAY, ive seen this before. But like i said... IM using a static IP......soooo.....where did it get those values from?

Wow, now im really confused. OK just to break some more crap down... I know how binary works, etc, etc,. I know who to calculate binary values with a given IP address already. What i dont get is, the website that you gave me to go look at, still proposes one problem. But also added one other...

The website didnt tell me anything that i didnt already understand, unless im just overlooking something. Also the website would just still prove my question... why is an IP address of 192.168.1.64 still getting a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0.

The website also posed another question to me.. There is a link at near the bottom of that website that says "check your IP" or something like that. And i clicked it and it said my IP address was 70.?.?.? (couldnt remember the figures) ANYWAY, ive seen this before. But like i said... IM using a static IP......soooo.....where did it get those values from?

Because your router or computer must be forcing type B (255.255.0.0).
What you are talking about is class C (255.255.255.0).
I would not be to concerned about it.

Since you know how to convert your IP to binary, convert it, then read.
If the first bit is 0 it is a Class A.
If the first two bits are 10 it is a Class B.
If the first three bits are 110 it is a Class C.
If the first four bits are 1110 it is a Class D.
If the first four bits are 1111 it is a Class E.

Those values where your internet IP address assigned to you by your ISP.
To check your IP address click here.

Back
Top Bottom