Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-03-2005, 06:46 AM   #1
Beta Member
Question ping times and lag

I game online and am suffering lag on any server further away than Germany , my pings are generally under 100 on uk / near european servers, 250+ according to various central european game servers but go 350+ on American servers. Yet when i run a ping test with pcpitstop program my us pings are around 150
I have a 1meg adsl account with plusnet of which the speeds vary from 700 to 900 , i recently upgraded to this from a 512 account but it hasnt made a difference.
My internet is via a Solwise 130 router and Linksys efah05w hub , my puter specs are AMD64 3000,1.5gig ram,GF6600gt 128 graphics,WD 80g HD.

Is the router a good/bad model ? are there better ones , whats the best . or am i looking at the problem from the wrong angle .

deeceepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:59 PM   #2
Daemon Poster
Send a message via AIM to CarpeNoctem Send a message via MSN to CarpeNoctem
Default Re: ping times and lag

I know nothing about these specific model but I had a problem similar to yours. I had just got cable internet 2.5meg. And I was getting high pings and low bandwidth. So I called my ISP up and they sent someone out to look at my computer and the lines. They redid the cable in the attic and left saying I had full signal. So I go to test my bandwidth and it was just as bad as before. So I called up my ISP again and they said it was the technicians last job before he quit and that he didn't want to dig up a line.

So after about 4 more technicians comming out the 5th one finally replaced the underground line in front of my house. After he did that I had great speeds. I was getting around 3.5megbits. I was happy.

So that just might be your problem. You might have a bad line underground or in the attic/basement. So I would recommend calling your service provider.
How many people can read hex if only you and dead people can read hex?

Start using reputation points!!!
CarpeNoctem is offline   Reply With Quote