Ping issues while gaming > Solutions needed

iDavy

Solid State Member
Hello everyone,

Note that English is not my native language,

A year ago I started playing League of Legends, but since the start I have issues with my ping. As soon as my sister enters the internet (on her own laptop) she starts browsing YouTube movies & loading huge websites like Tumblr who have a sh*tload of pictures.

This slows my gaming experience and gives me around 500 ping (Which usually is 40).

I've been looking for solutions but wasn't able to find any cost-efficient solutions.

Solutions yet:

- Get an extra internet connection which can give me my personal WiFi spot.
Cost price: € 25/month

- Get an extra MODEM in addition to the one we already have. This modem can set up a new WiFi spot without buying a new internet connection.
Cost price: € 50 once

- Get a new modem which allows special settings such as QoS.
Cost Price: € 100-150

Which one of these solutions will actually work and which obviously won't work ? Are there any other solutions for m problem ?

Thanks in advance,
Davy

Get your own account. I have ATT U-verse with 18 down and 2 up for under 50 dollars a month. The install and equipment fees are rather small surprisingly enough. I got the equipment fee waived because it took them 2 weeks to get out to my apartment.
Having your own connection is the cat's meow.

Solutions yet:

- Get an extra internet connection which can give me my personal WiFi spot.
Cost price: € 25/month

Do you mean subscribe to an ISP again and pay another monthly fee? This will work (my friend did this at his house - his parents wouldn't pay for faster internet so he got a different ISP to come in and setup a new modem and used that to play).

- Get an extra MODEM in addition to the one we already have. This modem can set up a new WiFi spot without buying a new internet connection.
Cost price: € 50 once

Do you mean router? That won't work because you'll still be sharing the same internet connection and therefore you'll still have the same speed.

- Get a new modem which allows special settings such as QoS.
Cost Price: € 100-150

Again, do you mean router? This will work, but it might make her really mad since you'll be drastically limiting her connection speed.

Which one of these solutions will actually work and which obviously won't work ? Are there any other solutions for m problem ?

Thanks in advance,
Davy

See my thoughts in red. Also what about just calling the ISP and upping your bandwidth?

Oh and if you do get your own internet, go hard wire instead of wifi. You'll go a lot faster...

I have no knowledge about networking so don't even know the difference between a modem and a router :p

So the only viable option seems a new connection for 30-50/month

Upping your bandwidth isn't an option? I'm sure the ISP has a higher package.

Wouldn't that help the issue?

Probably not a very nice thing to do, but you could go into the router settings and exclude your sister's laptop's MAC address from the allowed list while you're playing your game and then put it back on when you're done. It's not like anyone ever died from not being able to watch a youtube video. Of course, no one ever died from playing an online game on a slow connection either as far as I know.

Probably not a very nice thing to do, but you could go into the router settings and exclude your sister's laptop's MAC address from the allowed list while you're playing your game and then put it back on when you're done. It's not like anyone ever died from not being able to watch a youtube video. Of course, no one ever died from playing an online game on a slow connection either as far as I know.

Playing an online game with a 10 second delay isn't good for the team you're playing with either :p

Back
Top Bottom