picking up others wireless connections

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest, anybody can pick up a wireless connection, even i can and you can, we cn intercept the users packets and use their internet service, it is extremely unsecure in my opinion, especially if its not encrypted before leaving.
If your close to wireless 'hotspots' such as the city where buisnesses use alot of wireless connectivity especially with LAN, then you may connect through them by detecting a connection and ip address automatically.

dyserq said:
To be honest, anybody can pick up a wireless connection, even i can and you can, we cn intercept the users packets and use their internet service, it is extremely unsecure in my opinion, especially if its not encrypted before leaving.
If your close to wireless 'hotspots' such as the city where buisnesses use alot of wireless connectivity especially with LAN, then you may connect through them by detecting a connection and ip address automatically.

Its only unsecure if you dont know what you are doing.

crazy joe, i used to get that same thing. even when i would visit my mothers house, which is 50 miles out in the woods, where i am certain there are no wireless networks. HP Setup adhoc network detected. very strange, i could never connect to it.

well i've got the same thing at pennstation, i was on the train and all in the sudden i got this hpsetup.. i got connected but the ip adress was the same as the gateway so there was no way an internet connection .. i tried to see waht it was.. i couldnt do anything... so i didnt pay attention to it... the next day i turn on my computer.. and i was connected to my router at my house.. but it was really low.. the connection was like 11Mbps.. which in my router the connection is usually 54 Mbps.. so i decided to refresh the wireless list. connection.. so i did. and i got disconnectes from my and i got connected to that hpsetup again.. at 11Mbps.. and very high.. so i decided to go on my sisters computer and see if she was getting the same thing .. just to let u know guys my computer is a compaq.. and my sisters computer is a gateway... when i was cheking her wirless list connection she got the same hpsetup... i went back to my compueter and i disconnected that hpsetup and went back on my sisters computer.. and it wasnt there anymore... i was just thinking .. u think there could be a way we can connect to each other share files or anything like that... whats weird is that my computer is sending that signal.. and other computers are picking that up... and they can connect .. so we can connect to each other.... its kind of scary.. cause someone can just access ur computer and hack it... i wanna find out a way to do this.. im just curious.

You computer will still try and connect to any access points it was on previously. If you run a program called Kismet (i run it on linux) i can usualy see a list of every access point a laptop has connected too. Its not that the other person can connect to you, they are probably just picking up the packets your computer is sending out to see if the AP is still there.

you dont have a hp ipaq pda do you by any chance
ed-wow just realised this thread is dog old , maybe time for a close

i second the closing...well...i guess i third it if you count the first post i made suggesting that.

replying to a 2 year old thread. thats not too clever lol. anyway my neighbours network keeps appearing in my connections list when im at home. i connect to it just as a test and it sometimes connects on its own so i just use it a lot. thats just life, i dont purposely use it of course :p
im guessing it was just the in built card and probs the ad hoc connection was on. not that it matters now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom