Picking up the neighbour's wifi!

pretzelz

Beta member
Hi everyone,

I know I'll be slated for asking such a question but -- currently my broadband has been disconnected at home because I can't afford it anymore. (I've just started University and can't afford the monthly payment)

At the same time... the neighbour (who I do not know) has just got broadband and beams it out, unsecured from his house next door. I can pick it up in the kitchen (nearest his house) but the signal still is incredibly(!!!) temperamental. At best, the signal strength shows 2 green bars out of 5 and connected at 48Mbs, but most of the time its like 0 green bars and about 1 / 2 Mbs. For the life of me I can't figure out what the signal is soooo temperamental! Perhaps he has a cat and it sits on the antenna of the router at times, who knows.

Anyway, I was wondering if there is a way I can increase the stability of recieving his signal? Currently all I'm using is a USB wifi adapter into my laptop. (which has always been a little temperamental with home routers anyway). Anyway suggestions? Maybe use a powered USB hub? Get a long USB extension lead and get it as near their house as possible? Get a conscience, knock on their door and tell 'em to secure it?

Your advice would be great!

pretzelz said:
....... Get a conscience, knock on their door and tell 'em to secure it?

Your advice would be great!
That would be the right thing to do, as tempting as it may be to use their bandwidth it is still theft.

They may be really grateful you did tell them and you may be able to come to some arrangement in the short term to purchase some of their bandwidth at a nominal cost ?? worth a try ??

Well you could go talk to them, and say

"hey, um i see that you are beaming out your wireless internet over an unsecured network, and i was wondering if i secured it for you, would you let me use it sometimes? (possibly pay them like 5 bucks a month)"

lol

Back
Top Bottom