Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-15-2007, 06:17 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Password a network directory?

Hello, my name is dan,
I currently have a small 4 computer network going on, and is running very welll i am glad to say.
However i wish to make it so that i can access my documents from any computer.
I know i could just share them, but then everyone has access to them, and i also have looked in loads of options in advanced sharing (im running xp pro, sp2) however i can get no sense from this what so ever.

Any help is well appreciated, dan

danagol1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:51 AM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz
Default Re: Password a network directory?

you need to remove the everyone group from the sharing, and then setup your account to full access, if your an admin then it should be done. Once everyone group is removed then that stops everyone sharing them (pretty obvious lol)

Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:21 AM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se

ive been curious about this but have never been arsed to try. what do you mean by the everyone group?
Old 05-17-2007, 08:31 AM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_se View Post
ive been curious about this but have never been arsed to try. what do you mean by the everyone group?
If you goto the properties of a shared folder etc, there is a permisions tab in the sharing section, everyone group is in there, so you need to remove that and then add yourself, this stops every user reading your stuff etc.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:34 AM   #5
Golden Master

i dont see that. if i remember correctly you need to do this in safe mode as it unlocks another menu. i had to do it once when i had to regain a folder.
edit: i also remember that you only need to go into safe mode if you are running any xp ver apart from xp pro
Old 05-17-2007, 08:52 AM   #6
Golden Master

If you have xp home then you cant do it as you only have simple file sharing, so going into safe mode wont make any difference.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:22 AM   #7
Golden Master

oh ok. i have media centre :P ... i know that there is a permissions thing in safe mode for sure as ive used it but thats obviously no good. nm. its not a biggie for me anyway. its not even my thread
Old 05-17-2007, 09:23 AM   #8
BSOD

you need to control access to files and folders by using permissions

Windows XP has 5 built in accounts, (not groups) huge difference.

1.admin

2.guest

3.user (you)

4.helpassistant

5.support_xxxxxxxxx

I don't know if I would recommend removing the 'everyone group' from your windows XP. However, I would recommend having permissions set on the computer. The 'everyone group' includes ALL users who have been on the computer. Also, if your computer is part of a *domain all users within the domain aswell*. I will say there a few groups within the xp OS thats for sure.

Quote:
if i remember correctly you need to do this in safe mode as it unlocks another menu. i had to do it once when i had to regain a folder.
edit: i also remember that you only need to go into safe mode if you are running any xp ver apart from xp pro
If you're running xp PRO then go into the admin tools, computer management, go to local users and groups, double click folder in right hand pane to see list of users and/or groups. Also, right click on Users or groups to access the properties and set your options in there.

Cheers, 0X0161
0x0161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:31 AM   #9
Baseband Member

hhm ok then, i shall be sure to check out what all of you have said and try it out tonight!
I shall get back!
danagol1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:39 PM   #10
Baseband Member

you also may need to disable simple file sharing in Xp. Just click Tools... folder options... and uncheck the simple file sharing box. That will allow you to change permissions on folders.