One website not working for users

jmacavali

Fully Optimized
We have a one website we are trying to get to. It has worked for the past X number of days. Today it displays a 'page not found' error. If I login as me, the page loads fine. If the user(s) use any other computer, it works fine. We have a program called Deep Freeze, which saves the computers state, and so whenever the computer is restarted it reverts back to the way I set it up. This means, anything that is installed is deleted, anything that is removed is added back, and most important based on somethings I found online - the user profiles are deleted and recreated every time (this was the solution alot of people suggested online).

I'm at a loss at this point as to what could be causing this.

Additional details:
I've tried IE, FF, and Chrome.
I can ping the website from all accounts.
The rest of the 'net works fine.
I've cleared the cache/browsing history.
I've updated Java/Flash/etc.

Last edited:
Any time my guests complain of the same issue or they simply can't get on, I power everything down. Then bring the router/modem on first followed by the switch then the access points. I just call it rebooting the network.

That's fine, but if i log off and login on my account it works perfect so I don't think that's an issue either. Plus it's a school district so it would disrupt about 600 computers and around 1200 users....

Plus it works for all the other students, it's just this laptop.

Last edited:
Could it be an issue with the OS that got injected before the system got frozen? I'd also wonder if someone guessed the deepfreeze password and decided to play a game. Plenty of kids did that when I was in high school as the password was pretty simple to guess.

Could it be an issue with the OS that got injected before the system got frozen? I'd also wonder if someone guessed the deepfreeze password and decided to play a game. Plenty of kids did that when I was in high school as the password was pretty simple to guess.

Very unlikely. Even so, it still works under my account. This particular laptop is only used by one student and she is not malicious anyway.

can you use telnet to conenct to the site on port 80?

HOW TO: Request a Web Page Through a Telnet Client

that's at least test if it were possible to make connections to that website from that machine.

I'll check and let you know. Using the extenstion 'Firebug' for Firefox and Chrome's developer tools, it seems that they don't even connect to the site before they fail. I'm going to guess telnet will show me the same results. I've gotten that far but that's where my troubleshooting ability seems to stop right now.

Back
Top Bottom