Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default Odd issue adding PC to domain

So I'm working on a domain that has two DC's, one (hosting DNS and DHCP) being a mac server, one (hosting DNS and Domain) being a Win Server 2003 Std. box. Here's the big issue I'm having and haven't seen before.

I ping SERVER, it responds. I statically route the Domain server to SERVER, and nslookups resolve all names, including SERVER, just fine on the workstation. I go to Start > Run and type in "\\SERVER" and the server is not found. I cannot add the workstation to the domain because it is unable to see the domain controller. If I add to DOMAIN.local, it asks for the account with authorization to add to the server, and then returns an error saying "The network path was not found". Now if I add it to just DOMAIN, it returns "A Controller for the domain DOMAIN could not be contacted," without prompting even for a user / pass. What am I missing here?

P.S.

PvilleStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Odd issue adding PC to domain

Well, \\server is only going to work if you are sharing folders off the server. Are there other computers connected to the domain? What if you do the \\server from those? Are they able to connect to any network shares?

jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
In Runtime

There are 5 or 6 other PC's connected to the DC, and each is able to access \\Server (since there are network shares) as well as \\domain\netlogon. DHCP and DNS are now hosted on the Windows Machine. I'm still getting the same response when adding to the domain (wireless and wirelessly) although in both cases now (domain, and domain.local) I am being prompted for user / pass. I've ruled out lisence violations, since it's saying the device cannot be contacted, rather than too many devices. It's not a DNS error, since both DNS servers have produced the same error.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

Are you positive about the username/password? Try adding DOMAIN NAME\ in front of your username and see if that helps. Reset the password for an account that is able to add PC's (the domain admin account).
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
In Runtime

So it was Symantec filtering NetBIOS on port 139. Freaking GENIOUSES at Symantec... May they all choke on a fat one! Thank you ZenMap for solving that issue.