Odd Internet connectivity issue

amazing

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I need a little help troubleshooting.
I have a Fiber Optic internet connection at around 20MB down and 5MB up. No router or modem(cyber power ont/power supply is the modem I think). Windows XP --Dell pc about 3 years old. 3-4 times a day I lose internet connectivity. The usual fix is ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew. That's getting kind of old and the wife doesn't know how to do this. What would my most likely culprits be? What I'm thinking is:

Nic card going bad or need to update my drivers?
Bad cable or bad wiring in my house or ONT bad.. but if it was that then a simple release renew wouldn't work would it? That leaves me to believe the issue is with my computer? What do you think?

It's still possible to be a NIC as doing the release/renew may 'refresh' the connection. It's also possible that it's the ONT. Have you called the ISP. They should be able to look at things on their end and see if there is an issue - at least that is where I'd start. If they say no problems then I'd look at your NIC. They are only like $10-15 so that's not too bad.

I doubt its the drivers, but that would be the cheapest/quickest solution to try.

Thanks for the reply. I'll do that. Like the signature. I just ordered supermario bros, frogger, zelda and supermario cart for Christmas! lol SNES all the way!

Thanks for the reply. I'll do that. Like the signature. I just ordered supermario bros, frogger, zelda and supermario cart for Christmas! lol SNES all the way!

Cool Man!

Keep us updated on if you get the problem worked out.

I would try new drivers, do you have any NIC laying around the house? Or is it on multiple computers? Sorry I don't know the setup so I'm trying to help with what I know.

Back
Top Bottom