Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-10-2008, 11:57 AM   #1
Solid State Member
Default No Internet after Power cut and power return

Am in Nairobi, Kenya, with ADSL internet from Telekom Kenya. The signal comes in through dedicated phone line. Then goes through a router to four or five computers. When there is a power cut - which occurs frequently here in the wet season - the router shuts down. However when the power comes back on and the router reboots there is No internet. On my computer when I check the connection I get the message: 'Local area connection: Speed: 100. Status: Connected. But no internet.

When the power is back and stable, I disconnect power from router, reconnect it and it reboots. Most of the time, after rebooting, there is still no internet. However occasionally, the reboot is successful and the internet is back.

Have had a number of people from Telekom in but they don't seem to know. Have you any ideas, and suggestions as to how it might be corrected? Could it have something to do with the IP Address. Does the Router have to find the IP Address (you can see from this Q how little I know)? Any advice appreciated

EamonX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:34 AM   #2
Site Team
Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: No Internet after Power cut and power return

odds are the modem from your ISp (Telekom) needs to be powercycled as well. To prevent this buying a cheap battery backup and plugging the router and the modem into it should prevent this from happening.
"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote