Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-05-2018, 03:47 PM   #1
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 13
Default NFO VPN On Nighthawk X6 R8000

Hello all, I have a Nighthawk X6 8000 with Kongís DD-WRT. I also have a NFO server running a VPN with Softether software to run the VPN on the server. Now what I want to do is have my VPN run through my router so all devices can connect to the VPN. When I first installed the software it created a .ovpn file, and inside thereís the info I need to input on the DD-WRT router but some how is not connecting. Any help would be gladly appreciated, thanks in advance.
__________________

__________________
iDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:59 PM   #2
Fully Optimized
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Memory
Posts: 1,512
Default Re: NFO VPN On Nighthawk X6 R8000

Before starting, I'll admit I had to google "NFO server". Still not sure what that is. Anyways...

What do you mean by "run my VPN through my router"?
__________________

__________________
"I so enjoy watching history warp as words pass
from the lips of one to the ears of another.
Imperfectly formed, half understood, poorly remembered."
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:20 AM   #3
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 13
Default Re: NFO VPN On Nighthawk X6 R8000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD_man View Post
Before starting, I'll admit I had to google "NFO server". Still not sure what that is. Anyways...



What do you mean by "run my VPN through my router"?


Have my VPN service on my router so it can distribute the VPN so I can connect my devices.
__________________
iDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #4
Fully Optimized
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Memory
Posts: 1,512
Default Re: NFO VPN On Nighthawk X6 R8000

So, you mean that every connection to the outside world has to go through the VPN, regardless of the computer that's connecting?

For what I could gather about DD-WRT, it supports OpenVPN. So you should do a bit of research on that. Start here: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/OpenVPN
__________________
"I so enjoy watching history warp as words pass
from the lips of one to the ears of another.
Imperfectly formed, half understood, poorly remembered."
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:07 AM   #5
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 13
Default Re: NFO VPN On Nighthawk X6 R8000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD_man View Post
So, you mean that every connection to the outside world has to go through the VPN, regardless of the computer that's connecting?

For what I could gather about DD-WRT, it supports OpenVPN. So you should do a bit of research on that. Start here: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/OpenVPN


Yea no I donít think you get what Iím saying. My server has VPN, itís only for VPN use. I want to use that VPN on my router so I can connect my devices. Itís like when you buy a VPN subscription service and it has he option to input some settings into the router so that the VPN is connected to the router
__________________
iDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:37 AM   #6
Fully Optimized
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Memory
Posts: 1,512
Default Re: NFO VPN On Nighthawk X6 R8000

Did you read about OpenVPN or my post? You can use OpenVPN to connect to a third party VPN provider. See this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php..._a_third_party

So if you do it from your router, every connection should go through that VPN.
__________________
"I so enjoy watching history warp as words pass
from the lips of one to the ears of another.
Imperfectly formed, half understood, poorly remembered."
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:43 AM   #7
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 13
Default Re: NFO VPN On Nighthawk X6 R8000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD_man View Post
Did you read about OpenVPN or my post? You can use OpenVPN to connect to a third party VPN provider. See this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php..._a_third_party

So if you do it from your router, every connection should go through that VPN.


Sobů have to follow each step in the whole page for me to have it working? Do I still need to. Este a PKI and the certs? ETC?
__________________
iDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:51 AM   #8
Fully Optimized
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Memory
Posts: 1,512
Default Re: NFO VPN On Nighthawk X6 R8000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDon View Post
Sobů have to follow each step in the whole page for me to have it working? Do I still need to. Este a PKI and the certs? ETC?
No, I don't think so, but I've never done it. That's why I'm trying to point you in the right direction.

I was hoping you would do some research and tell me if that was what you were looking for.

Here is what I know:
  1. DD-WRT supports OpenVPN,
  2. OpenVPN supports connecting to a third party VPN.

That's why I think it may be the way for you to accomplish what you want to do.

I have no way to test it, and as I said, I never did it. So, please try do find out if that's what you need, test it and report back.

I don't think anyone here can provide you with step-by-step instructions, considering how specific your task is. It's inevitable that you do some research on your own.
__________________
"I so enjoy watching history warp as words pass
from the lips of one to the ears of another.
Imperfectly formed, half understood, poorly remembered."
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:25 PM   #9
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 13
Default Re: NFO VPN On Nighthawk X6 R8000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD_man View Post
No, I don't think so, but I've never done it. That's why I'm trying to point you in the right direction.

I was hoping you would do some research and tell me if that was what you were looking for.

Here is what I know:
  1. DD-WRT supports OpenVPN,
  2. OpenVPN supports connecting to a third party VPN.

That's why I think it may be the way for you to accomplish what you want to do.

I have no way to test it, and as I said, I never did it. So, please try do find out if that's what you need, test it and report back.

I don't think anyone here can provide you with step-by-step instructions, considering how specific your task is. It's inevitable that you do some research on your own.


No, one of that is what I need. I believe I have what I need but when I input it into the router somehow itís not connecting. Maybe Iím doing something wrong. Donít need none of that as I already have the .ovpn file with the information I need to put on the router
__________________
iDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:53 PM   #10
Fully Optimized
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Memory
Posts: 1,512
Default Re: NFO VPN On Nighthawk X6 R8000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDon View Post
No, one of that is what I need. I believe I have what I need but when I input it into the router somehow itís not connecting. Maybe Iím doing something wrong. Donít need none of that as I already have the .ovpn file with the information I need to put on the router
So the problem is that you insist on using a method that doesn't work.

Why are you doing this? Where did you read this would work? Is there a guide that you followed? If so, please provide a link here.
__________________

__________________
"I so enjoy watching history warp as words pass
from the lips of one to the ears of another.
Imperfectly formed, half understood, poorly remembered."
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0