Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
Beta Member
Red face Newbie Networking Question Concerning Workgroup

Just wondering if it is possible at all to share an application in a Workgroup network? If I share an entire hard drive over a network, would that give me acess from the other computer to use this hard drive's applications or do I need another license? Thanks in advance.

dodger805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
Site Team
Default Re: Newbie Networking Question Concerning Workgroup

No. You can not 'share' an application. The only thing that would be shared is the files. You need to have another license (and if you had another license you would install it on the other computer).

The only way to run an application that is installed on Computer A, on Computer B is to connect to Computer A from Computer B remotely. And technically the app is running on Computer A when you do that. I'm also guessing that you want to run the app on both computers at the same time and you won't be able to do that.

If you can give more details about what you are trying to do (the app, what it does, why you need to run it on 2 computers) we might be able to help you come up with a solution.

Don't take life too seriously -- no one gets out alive. Plus, who wants to arrive to the hereafter in pristine condition wearing a suit and tie?
I want to slide in sideways, worn out, used up, hair a mess, clothes tattered, & screaming, "Whooo! What a ride!"
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
Baseband Member
Send a message via AIM to Rickeh69 Send a message via MSN to Rickeh69
Default Re: Newbie Networking Question Concerning Workgroup

By "sharing" you can dump the install files into a public folder(Windows 7)

Or you can share your entire hard drive where the file is located. Make sure if you do that that you put on "READ-ONLY" for all files unless you want them to be able to make changes.

You can also make it to only share the specific folder, that way your privacy won't get invaded.

If you share anything over a network, everyone connected to the same network will be able to view your files, so be careful.

Alternatively, you can set up FTP to remotely access your computer from anywhere. That's what I do when I'm away from home.
I hope I can help you in the future. Please feel free to contact me at anytime for IT-related questions.
Rickeh69 is offline   Reply With Quote