Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-14-2004, 11:34 PM   #1
Beta Member

Question New mobo, can't get online!

Hello,
I upgraded one of my computers running SDRAM by installing a new motherboard running 512MB of PC2100 and an older 1Ghz Athlon processor. The new mobo is an ABIT VA-10 with a VIA KM400/VT8235 chipset. I used the same hard drive, a Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 8 30G ATA133, running Windows ME. After installing all of the new drivers, everything went very smoothly. The device manager gave its blessing for all components. The only problem is it won’t connect to the Internet. I have pulled my hair out for two days over this.

Here’s the situation: I am using a cable modem connected to a Linksys 4 port switch router, which is currently successfully providing internet connectivity to my two other computers. I can successfully ping the router, as well as Google and Yahoo!, but it will not connect. All router ports are good, and Linksys tech support helped me verify my LAN settings and that the router was still working properly. My ISP tech support also gave “thumbs up” to my cable connection and equipment, and told me the problem was with the ME operating system, and that I would need to contact Microsoft to help me with it.

I would prefer to call a Microsoft tech only in a dire emergency (I hear it can be expensive!) Has anyone experienced this phenomenon? Do any of you know ME well enough to offer a fix? I covet any and all suggestions!!

Thanks,
chuckie

chuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 01:57 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: New mobo, can't get online!

Make sure you bios and drivers for your motherboard are up to date.

Also you may want to think about getting an inexpensive NIC card for you PCI slot.

You never said you were running onboard I just figured as much.

Also update ME as well.

***THE DYNASTY***: 74.52.232.130:27015
*** GUNGAME ***: 74.52.232.131:27015
*** SOCCER ***: 74.52.232.133:27015
airiox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 11:27 AM   #3
entity512

are you sure you installed the onboard ethernet drivers? If microsoft installed its own go into the device manager and reinstall the abit ones from the cd.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:31 PM   #4
Beta Member

Question

All applicable drivers are installed....my onboard LAN is configured(VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter) as well as a Linksys NIC, also properly configured. I get the same results regardless of which interface I use....they allow me to ping, but will not connect!!

The problem is apparently in the ME operating System....something hidden, perhaps missing. I did a system restore to replace any critical files that might have gone astray during the upgrade....but to no avail>

I feel pretty good about the hardware and drivers. I need some guidance from someone who has some practical knowledge of the inner workings of Windows ME. Something got goofed-up when I changed motherboards
chuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:42 AM   #5
entity512

maybe you are best just to do a fresh install with all your new components.