New guy with a question

Set up a wireless name, and set up WPA and that's basically it.

Yea thats what a lot of people do. Me personally, thats not good enough. I like my stuff to be secured like Fort Knox.

Thanks very much for the help huys. I got my hands a netgear wireless router and the set-up was pretty easy aswell. However, can you guys advise me on how to configure the router for passwords etc? How am I meant to access the router?

there should be a set up address to put in your browser,someting like 192.168.1.1 is most common check your router instructions to see.
when you connect to it then you have the option to change your password there, also go to security/encryption settings and set up WPA

This is what I did for my wireless router.This is done with a Linksys WRT54G v.5

I Changed the following:

0.) change default username & password to log into GUI to modify router settings.

1.)changed the router name from actual "vendor make & model" TO MYSHIT.

2.) changed default SSID (aka network name) to 'Secured Network'

3.) Enabled Encryption. 'WPA Personal. For 'WPA Algorithms' I'm using 'AES' instead of TKIP.

4.) I Set wireless *SSID* broadcast to 'Disabled.'

5.) Enabled "Wireless MAC filter" to 'permit only the 3 PCs I have' to access the wireless network.

6.) SET MAXIUM NUMBER OF DHCP USERS TO 3

7.) Set logs to monitor all ("_incomming & outgoing_") connections.

For actual firewall settings in the router I have it set to

Block Anonymous Internet Requests
Filter Multicast
Filter IDENT(Port 113)

this is just to give you a little idea of what you can do to secure your wireless network. BTW, the netgear I installed in a doctors office has a lot more security features/options that what this linksys has.

Back
Top Bottom