Networking Via Hub?

Cam1

Solid State Member
Hi everyone,

Okay, I want to setup three computers that can connect to the internet, is it possible to do it with a hub?

I have 256 broadband and have installed NICs in each computer. I'm using CAT5 UTP to link everything together. There are straight through cables from each computer to the hub, I'm looking at controlling everything from a central computer where the hub and DSL modem are located.

The master computer is fully setup and can access the internet, however the other computers don't seem to communicate with each other. I'm using XP Pro and each computer has the IP addresses:

192.168.0.1 (master)
192.168.0.2 (second pc)
192.168.0.3 (third pc)

I'm a bit confused about the default gateway to use, would it be the address that can access the internet on the master computer?

I've tried running the 'connection wizard' on each computer but no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers. :)

you'd use the one on the master if you had ICS.

if not youd have to get a router. they cost anywherer between 30 and several thousand dollars!

Hibs are very dumb devices and only pass packets at the physical layer which doesnt know the IP address of the destination pc.

routers work at teh network layer layer 3 which is IP address info.

Thanks Dell,

Ended up getting a Belkin 4port Gateway Router, only problem is my modem hasn't got an RJ45 interface. (doh)

I'm gonna ask my ISP to swap the modem or look for a convertor?

Cheers.

Hi again,

I ended up getting a D-Link ADSL external modem and a 4port DSL gateway router by Belkin.

If I connect one PC to the modem, it accesses the internet fine, but if I plug every PC into the router and try accessing the net it doesn't work. (Yep the modem is connected to the router etc etc). I've tried configuring the router but nothing seems to work. I'm not sure of how the router should be configured, the manual explains absolutely nothing.

Would this be the correct way to statically assign IPs?:

192.168.1.3 (1st PC)
192.168.1.4 (2nd PC)
192.168.1.5 (3rd PC)

192.168.1.1 (Modem)
192.168.1.2 (Router)

192.168.1.1 (Default Gateway?)

Grr it's confusing!

your router's IP is the default gateway!!

also make sure that your router is setup to 'gateway" mosde too. mine requires it.

so the address would be 192.168.1.2

I've just tried again and it's still not detecting the internet. The IPs are now being dynamically assigned (I'm guessing by the router). The Gateway and DHCP is the router IP address. The DNS I'm using are 212.50.160.100 & 213.249.130.100 which were provided by my ISP.

Is there someway that my ISP could be blocking the address that's dynamically assigned by the router? It works fine through just the modem and it gives the PC an IP address like 213.249.etc...

Do I have to configure the ports on the router that will enable programs to access the internet through it? When configuring the router it says that I need to provide a host name too, I have no idea what that is... :(

Also another strange problem, whenever the computer restarts and I log on, it takes about 2 mins 30 until the network icon appears? If I try accessing the 'Network Connections' area while it's doing this it just jams until whatever it's doing is finished.

Thanks. :)

Back
Top Bottom