Networking a Desktop and Laptop

KevFromNy

Baseband Member
Hello, I need some help. I have3 computers, 2 desktops and 1 laptop that I recently purchased but all on the same router. I am able to connect the 2 desktops and share files but I cannot connect the laptop to the network. I ran the network wizzard on the laptop the exact same way I did on the desktop and gave it the same domain name yet it will not show up on the network. Is there something im doing wrong and can some one give me some help.

They're all under the same workgroup.
They all have file sharing turned on.
Can you view all of them in My Network Places>View Workgroup Computers?
Are they all the same operating system? XP, 2K, etc.
They all have a different name on the network?
Just some things to check.

yeah, i have the exact same problem. 2 desktops, one laptop. i can access the laptop's files from the other comps, but cant connect to the other comps from the laptop.

Tried what was suggested before. I have wired Desktop attached to the router, and a wireless laptop.
Here's my steps:
1. On Desktop I run the the network wizard.
a. use existing connection to internet.
b.give desktop name
c.give workgroup name of HOME
d. turn on file sharing
e. then it tells me what settings the wizard will apply
f. then it takes a few seconds to config and it asks I finish the wizard. Both computers are WindowsXP

2.On laptop run the network hardware.
a. it tells me it finds disconnected network hardware. (Local Area Connection Marvell Yukon 88E8038 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller) I'm using the wireless card so I click ignore disconnected network hardware
b.click yes use existing shared connection for this computer internet access
c.name the computer
d.Call the network HOME
e.Turn of File and Printer Sharing
f.it tells me the settings
g.it configs and I finish the wizard

For both I then reboot. Both computers can access the internet fine. Interestingly enough at my friends house I walk in and the laptop could access his network out of the box the first hour it was on!

same problem here!
only thing i could add however the wizard tells me to use the flash drive in my router, my router does not have a usb port????

Back
Top Bottom