network trouble, DNS

PinkPrincess

Beta member
Well i got a router so i could network my laptp and my computer together, the laptop connects to the network fine, i can go on the internet but for some reason i can go on msn. I then went on the help and support for windows and ran a test on my network for the laptop... apperently its failed on a few things like the gateway, and dns, i have no idea how to configure these properly, i also cant get my files from one computer to the other, when i ran that test on my main computer it passes all the tests so im guessing its the laptop that has the problems, can any one give me some advice on how to fix this its really doing my head in. Many thanks

Nadia

ok i found your post (i saw your other post in the social lounge lol)

im a bit confused actually... if you dont have dns and the default gateway how is the laptop accessing the internet?

an easy way to gat your default gateway and dns without having to call your isp would be to unplug your modem from your router and plug it strait into your computer. once that is done, restart your computer then open up command promt (start --> run --> type in 'cmd') that should open up a black window and type in 'ipconfig/all'

you should get your dns and your gateway there.. once thats done we can continue haha

also, make sure that both your laptop and your computer are on the same network but have unique names. you can do this by:

1. rightclicking on My Computer then going down to Properties
2.A bow opens up. Click the Computer Name tab up the top.
3. Now you can see the name and workgroup.
3.Click the change button you see and make any changes in nessecary.

the steps are the same on both your laptop and computer keeping in mind you have XP installed on both machines

Nat

IF it is a cable modem , you need to turn the modem off and the notebook. The cable modem will cach the mac address of the router. do the same when connecting back to router

Back
Top Bottom