Network Transmission Whoas...

JaseVaughn

Baseband Member
Ok here is my problem and I really hope someone can help me track what's causing this, cause it's starting to get on my nerves. I am running a Linksys 10/100 Router BEFSR41 V3 with Firmware Version: 1.05.00 . All the Cable I am using is CAT6 Cable with all the same standard color code on each end 568B. I have A Desktop machine a laptop machine and a Media PC, which they all have 10/100 Nic cards 2 Realtek chipsets and one via. The Operating system on Each machine is Windows XP Professional. Now here is the problem. In Windows I can go to network properties and it sayes Connection Speed 100.0 Mbps but I only transfer any file bewteen the PC's at BARLEY 10 mbps. That's the highest I ever get. some of the things I have tried are Using a diff. Hub I had that's 10/100 and same thing and trying just hooking up my laptop and Media PC and Desktop and laptop and all diff combos and still nothing I only can transfer at that speed is there something I am overlooking hardware based or is there something in my OS That's not allowing for the transfer to run at max ANY HELP WOULD BE VERY WELL APPRECIATED.

Jason

Though it says 100MB/s thats "theoretical" bandwidth. truth is.. no matter what connection you have, unless you are going directly from computer to computer via cross over cable running full duplex nic's and that the hardware on both is capable of handling that much data transfer your never going to get the "advertised speed". The fastest file transfer i have ever been able to achieve was around 550MB/s but I was using 2 servers which both had more than enough power, a 6 foot CAT6 crossover cable, and both servers had Intel Pro MT/1000 nics in them both running in full duplex. also other things that affect this is the files themselves. is it a folder with lots of files in it? or is it a compressed folder such as a .zip? compressed will allways transfer faster.

Back
Top Bottom