Network problems

jfeltt

Solid State Member
I installed Linux Ubuntu as a virtual machine on windows 10. I installed Ubuntu 18.04 using hyper v.
I am unable to establish internet connection. A message states that a network cable is not connected which is incorrect. Any ideas? The windows 10 has a Ethernet connection that is working fine.

From the top...
In your vswitch setup, are you doing internal networking only or bridged networking (you need bridged to present the machine to the outside world.)
In your VM settings is there a network interface added to the VM
If there is a card added to the VM is it connected (there is a check box the virtually unplug the VM)
Did you add a card type that has a compatible driver in Linux?

From the top...
In your vswitch setup, are you doing internal networking only or bridged networking (you need bridged to present the machine to the outside world.)
In your VM settings is there a network interface added to the VM
If there is a card added to the VM is it connected (there is a check box the virtually unplug the VM)
Did you add a card type that has a compatible driver in Linux?

Thanks for the information. After much effort, I finally was able to connect to the internet. I rebooted several times and not sure what was going on. I'll review your recommendations further and see if I can figure things out.

One of the common reasons for the network unreachable is the network service is down in the server. Thus we log in to the server via console from Hyper-V manager. Then we start the network service back. Once we start the service the issue with the network is resolved.

The error message "network cable is not connected" usually indicates that there is a problem with the physical connection between your computer and the network. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot this issue:

Check the physical connection: Make sure the network cable is securely plugged into both the computer and the router/switch. If possible, try a different cable to rule out a faulty cable.

Restart the router/switch: Sometimes resetting the network device can resolve connection issues. Unplug the power cable from the router/switch, wait for 10-15 seconds, and then plug it back in.

Restart your computer: A simple restart can sometimes resolve network connection issues.

Check network adapter settings: Right-click on the network icon in the system tray and select "Open Network & Internet Settings". Click on "Change adapter options" and make sure that the Ethernet adapter is enabled and set to obtain an IP address automatically.

Update network adapter drivers: Outdated network adapter drivers can cause connectivity issues. Visit the manufacturer's website to download and install the latest drivers.

Regards,
Peter

Back
Top Bottom