network problem

ericf19931

Daemon Poster
i have 2 computers and a laptop at my house. my 1 comp can see everybody, my 2nd comp can see everybody but cannot acces my first comp. my laptop does the same. this might be confusing but any ideas?

Yes, you haven't "shared" anything. Right-click on the folder to be shared. Select the link that says it's a security and you understand the bla bla bla. Share the folder on the network, without using the wizard. XP doesn't like you to do anything without a wizard, or it doing it itself- FYI.
Once it sets the permissions, you should be able to access the other folders. You can do the same thing with the drive, so you can see and modify every folder. Keep in mind if your laptop has the C drive shared, any other network you hook it up to will be able to see everything. You can get around this by giving the workgroup a unique name that only you know...

With what you are describing, it sounds like you have the network setup, you just don't have the permissions to view the contents on each computer? Correct? (In other words, your getting an error that tells you you don't have permission to view the network source)
You shared a folder, or the C: drive on each computer, and gave it a shared name on the network? If you're not sure, then this is the problem. You haven't shared what you wanted to.

what happens when you go to share, what dose it look like on the other computers get references. Did you trie to unplug and plug every thing back in how long have the other computers been sharing. Tri swiching wires between the other computers, your problem might be the wires

heres what it says on the error box //Atari-komp is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network source. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer

and the other computers cant see me. i can see the other computers just fine

try creating a local account on the xp machine that matches the account on the other machine (assuming its the one that is not allowing you to share from) this is a common problem with XP, also check to make sure you are actually sharing something with the everyone permissions turned on.

Back
Top Bottom