Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-18-2005, 02:04 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default Network Printer Issue

This is my setup:

I have a Linksys router attached to my cable modem. It has a LAN IP of and assigns IP's in the range of and up.

I have a D-Link wireless router in a seperate building hardwired to the first router with a WAN static IP of and LAN IP of and assigns IP's in the range of and up.

All subnet masks are

I have a PC with a printer attached to the LPT port on the Linksys router and an IP of Print sharing is enabled in Windows XP.

I have a laptop also with Windows XP that is on the D-Link router and has an IP of

How do I get the laptop to "see" the printer so that I may set it up as an available network printer?

Volfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 03:02 PM   #2
Daemon Poster
Default Re: Network Printer Issue

Prior to doing the steps below, confirm that you can ping the printer address of from the computer you want to have the printer connect with and are getting replies ... not request timed out.

Start>>Control Panel>>(Category View)>>Printers & Other Hardware>>Printers & Faxes

Left column it should give the option to "Add Printer". Select Add Printer>>Next>>Select Local Printer Attached to this Computer (should already be selected) (Uncheck Automatically detect and install my Plug & Play printer)>>Next>>Create a new port>>Drop-down menu select Standard TCP/IP Port

Add Standard TCP/IP Port Wizard should come up>>Next>>Type in address (Is this address static in the printer server? ... needs to be).

After entering the address click next and it should locate that printer at that address and prompt you for drivers. Have the disk handy (or get the drivers either from cd or manufacturer of printer's website and extract them to a share folder you can map to) and install them. Good luck.
CrossCech is offline   Reply With Quote