network no longer in range.

orpey1

Baseband Member
Hi
I have just re-installed windows xp on a friends lap top and had many problems with drivers (this forum helped me out). but all of these were solved. My problem now is the lap top is finding all the available networks, including mine that it is next to but when i try to connect it says it is no longer in range. I get on pressing connect and finally it asked me for my security key, which i entered but it just keeps trying to connect then just gives up. I would appreciate any advice.
Thankyou.

I know this is a longshot, but on many notebook computers there is a switch so you can turn on and off the wireless card. Is there any chance that it is off?

I think I can help. This happens at work for a very specific reason.

On my router wireless security settings I have a MAC address filter list. So inorder for a wireless device to connect I need to take it's MAC address and put it on that list in the router.

Then and only then will the router talk to the wireless device and allow you to enter the WPA2, WEP etc....

If I dont put the MAC address of the device on to that list I get the exact same error

I assume you were able to connect his laptop to the wireless network previously. If so, reinstall won't reassign a new MAC addy to your Wireless Network Card. What are YOUR security settings (WPA, WEP...) and what kind of router is it?

Keep your laptop or desktop in a good ways away. Maybe at least several feet, but not across several rooms at least for the test. Click the wireless tab, make sure the "wireless network mode" matches the wireless type of your laptop. And make sure you set your router to allow multiple connections at once.

Back
Top Bottom