Network Monitor/Control

Beta member
Hello,

This is my first thread. I am happy I am a member of your HUGE forums!

I have a router/modem that I received from Bell (Canadian internet/wireless etc... distributor) and I've allowed my friends to use my connection (share my wifi password).

My question is: Is there a software that I can download that would allow me to control the bandwidth consumption and the download speed they use? (I don't want to spy on their downloads, I really don't care) I just want to make sure they are not abusing the bandwidth (my limit is 60gb/moth up and down) and not abusing the download because sometimes my connection becomes REALLY slow knowing that I am on a 7mbps connection.

Any advice? I would really appreciate it!

Thank you and looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

you can try looking in the router to see if you can configure the ports to set a limit to the bandwidth.

I looked into every aspect of the router and I was not able to find any "extra" features that I can use. I can only see who's on my network, that's all.

Thanks a lot! I will try it.

Depending on the model of the router, you can install OpenWrt that can adjust the settings you need.

You could also try DD-WRT

I clicked on both links and I am not sure exactly how do I extract the program and install it on my PC.

If I may ask you, can you please be more specific? Thank you very much.

Hello,

This is my first thread. I am happy I am a member of your HUGE forums!

I have a router/modem that I received from Bell (Canadian internet/wireless etc... distributor) and I've allowed my friends to use my connection (share my wifi password).

My question is: Is there a software that I can download that would allow me to control the bandwidth consumption and the download speed they use? (I don't want to spy on their downloads, I really don't care) I just want to make sure they are not abusing the bandwidth (my limit is 60gb/moth up and down) and not abusing the download because sometimes my connection becomes REALLY slow knowing that I am on a 7mbps connection.

Any advice? I would really appreciate it!

Thank you and looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Nope theirs nothing you can run to do that. Such an application needs to be on a network device such as your router. Also, the "home gateways" bell provides are not compatible with third party firmware such as DD-WRT and OpenWRT.

I wanted to do this but couldn't find a solution. I do believe high end routers can do this but they cost thousands.

Back
Top Bottom