Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-21-2006, 12:02 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Network Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MY HARDWARE

LINKSYS WMP54GX WITH SRX WIRELESS CARD
NETGEAR FA310TX Fast Ethernet Adapter (NGRPCI)
NETGEAR RP114

I AM USING MY NEABORS INTERNET CONNECTION (SHE KNOWS I AM) AND I AM TRYING TO CONNECT ANOTHER COMPUTER WITH ONLY 1 WIRELESS CARD SO I TOOK THE ETHERNET CABLE TO A NETGEAR RP114 AND ANOTHER ETHERNET CABLE FROM THE OTHER COMPUTER IT CONNECTS BOTH COMPUTER BUT WHEN I TRY TO SHARE THE INTERNET CONNECTION I GET THIS ERROR

tmaxxracer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 12:40 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to pctechmike Send a message via MSN to pctechmike
Default Re: Network Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't understand why you are using the Internet Connection Sharing- it's not needed. You have the Netgear router, which should provide you with all the IP addresses you need. The only reason you should setup Internet Connection Sharing is if the other computer went through your computer to get to the router- does that make sense to you? That's not a perfect way to explain it.......but I hope you see the logic.

pctechmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 04:13 PM   #3
Baseband Member

Default Re: Network Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok i have both computers connected but the second computer cannot aquire the network adress
tmaxxracer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:32 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to pctechmike Send a message via MSN to pctechmike
Default Re: Network Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the second computer cannot aquire the network address, it could be a bad network cable. It also could be that your network card in that computer is setup for a static IP address. Did someone have the second computer before you? Go into network properties, TCP/IP properties, and see if it's set to Obtain IP address automatically, and Obtain DNS address automatically. If it's not, change it to do so. If that's not the case, check the network cable- they have been known to be bad. A way to check it is to connect it to the known working computer, if it aquires an address, and you're able to connect, then you have a computer issue.
pctechmike is offline   Reply With Quote