Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-03-2011, 08:49 AM   #1
Beta Member
Default Network Health and Status/Monitoring

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this forum but after comparing it to others this forum seems to be more inclusive and more active than many others so I decided to give it a shot.

I have done some research online however I am hoping to get a solution from someone who has a similar issue. I am looking for a tool or set of tools (preferably open source or cheap – although this could change if a pricier tool is very good) that map out an existing network. I know that Visio has this capability however it ends up being a giant Star where one device is central and ALL other devices are directly connected. My network has a few subnets and a few switches with multiple rooms with PCs/Printers connected (think classroom environment) that I would like to see represented well in tiered form.

What I would like the software to do:
- Map the network – I will be manually writing down PC/Printer names to be sure it is accurate but I would like the majority of the work done via network discovery
- Determine Up/Down Status
- Determine if PCs need to be updated
- Display Computer Name

I am not opposed to running Linux for this tool/tool suite and my network is very dynamic in that PCs are frequently moved from room to room. I don’t mind updating PC movements manually however if it were done automatically that would be a huge plus. I am running (with the exception of servers and a few VMs) a pure Windows (XP, 2K3, 7) environment so that should help narrow things down. So far I have only tried free tools with the most recent being Nagios (installed on Ubuntu 10.4) but it was a complete fail. It was properly installed from source code however it did not do what I wanted it to do and with the Linux/Windows VM testing environment it failed to discover anything outside of the Host OS.

Hopefully someone else has this same issue and has a solution but regardless – thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Zambezi is offline   Reply With Quote