Network hassle's

lukey83

Baseband Member
I cannot log onto my LAN . Everything was working yesterday. Nothing new has been added to the PC. I'm running Win 2000 and it then attaches to a Novell network. No software changes have been made. What should I check first to find the problem?

Can someone give me like a run through list and instructions? Im a novice with Networks

Well the first thing I would check since you said you connect to a novell network, is the IPX/SPX protocol on your machine to see if it's configured.

First thing check your cable.... thats always first. Next you can check your IPX/SPX settings. Go to your "my network places" icon on the desktop and right click then go to properties. Right click on your network connection and go to properties. In the list there should be IPX\SPX protocol listed. If not then add it. If there is then click properties and see whats listed. If you can find out whats supposed to be listed then go for it and compare it to what is on your computer. next repeat the two first steps going to network places and properties and then your connection then properties. Click the box in the bottom left so it will show the icon in the taskbar. That way you can see if your computer is showing that you have an internet connection. If it show that you are not connected then it may be a hardware problem with your NIC card. Post back and let me know what is happening. I will help you out further.

adamorris said:
If it show that you are not connected then it may be a hardware problem with your NIC card. Post back and let me know what is happening. I will help you out further.

*feels stupid*

The last thing I checked was my NIC. It wasnt plugged in properly. A lil push and KAZAM, it all works again.

Thanks everyone for racking your brains trying to help me =D

*does a lil bum dance* (_)_) (_(_) (_)_) (_(_)

Cool man. Most computer problems are like that in the first place. Dont feel bad, it can happen to anyone.

Back
Top Bottom