Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-19-2005, 04:30 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default network firewall ?

i network 3 computers thru a router, they all win xp pro, they work fine, but the thing is everytime i turn on my norton internet security then i cann't see other computers, only see their fold, but cann't access inside. Are there anyway to access the folder (network) from other computer without turn off norton internet security ? it happens same with zone alarm, Anyone has same experience before ? please help, thanks

v_xxx_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 04:58 PM   #2
Baseband Member

Default Re: network firewall ?

Norton Internet Security might be the worst application I have ever come across. It uses a ton of system resources and slows down machines heavily. If you are worried about security and need a firewall, I would recommend upgrading your router and enabling the firewall on it instead of blocking everything from the desktop side...

Anywhooo..The firewall in Internet Security and ZoneAlarm are blocking incoming connections on those machines. You can create exceptions on both of these applications to allow file sharing and you can specify what machines can access it by either IP address or by machine name....

Old 12-19-2005, 07:42 PM   #3
Baseband Member

will norton anti virus client will take alot of computer resource like norton internet security ?. i just go norton anti virus client software from work, and not sure if it's better than norton internet security. Even if you turn on firewall, you still getting virus and other spywares.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:33 PM   #4
Baseband Member

No. Plain old Symantec Antivirus does not use alot of resources. However, the client that you have probably is managed by a server running Antivirus server which is pushing out virus definitions and rolling out patches, etc...However you can get the client itself and leave it unmanaged and it will not use alot of resources. In my opinion, it is 1000000000x better than Internet Security.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:04 PM   #5
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismakk69
No. Plain old Symantec Antivirus does not use alot of resources. However, the client that you have probably is managed by a server running Antivirus server which is pushing out virus definitions and rolling out patches, etc...However you can get the client itself and leave it unmanaged and it will not use alot of resources. In my opinion, it is 1000000000x better than Internet Security.
but is it safe to use ? any idea how to create exception to without turn off internet security ?
Old 12-20-2005, 04:34 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

Send a message via ICQ to DJ Stephen Send a message via AIM to DJ Stephen Send a message via MSN to DJ Stephen Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Stephen

use internet secutiry, what you need to do it:
In the other computer allow the routers ip address and the addresses (ip) of the other computer in the network. The you should be able to fix the problem becuase it happened to me with mcafee at the weekend, did that and it all works fine now.

DJ Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote