Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-08-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13
Default Network connection from a physical box to a virtual box

I have a PC with a 500GB USB drive attached. The box is running xp pro on a local network domain with an ip schema of 10.1.1.x. The box is setup for DHCP. On the removable drive I have MS Virtual Server installed with Server 2003 setup as a DNS server with a different domain than the physical box and an ip schema of 10.10.10.x. The virtual box is set to static ip at 10.10.10.1. the subnet mask for both is 255.255.255.0. I can access the virtual box through my browser, but I would like to use remote desktop to access the virtual box. What do I need to do to make the physical box be able to communicate to the virtual box.
__________________

cloksin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:40 PM   #2
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 825
Default Re: Network connection from a physical box to a virtual box

if you're running your network on a single home router then you probably need to configure the router to port forward 3389 to allow for Remote Desktop traffic. I'm curious though about why you selected to run your virtual server on a different subnet 10.10.10.x rather than 10.1.1.x as your xp pro is running on. You're going to run into issues NATing from 10.1.1.x to 10.10.10.x on a router that only recognizes 10.1.1.x.

I would reassign an address to your virtual server with something from the 10.1.1.x subnet ... would solve 95% of your problem. The other 5% would be the port forwarding of port 3389.
__________________

CrossCech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13
Default Re: Network connection from a physical box to a virtual box

This isn't a home network, it's a work network. That's why I changed the IP scheme. My physical box is on the company's network, and I didn't want to interfere with that network. the reason I have the virtual server setup is so that I can run tests with MOSS 2007, which we are looking to roll out sometime in the next year. I don't have access to the router's settings, that's handled by someone else who happens to be very teritorial over his responsibilities. What I would like to be able to do is first, access the virtual server through remote desktop, and then access any sharepoint sites I setup from the browser on my physical box.
cloksin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:31 PM   #4
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 825
Default Re: Network connection from a physical box to a virtual box

The 10.10.10.x subnet still presents a problem. You're unable to ping 10.10.10.1 (XP box) from your computer ... right? I would just assign a 10.1.1.x address to the XP box and also assign one for the virtual server and ensure that remote desktop access is enable on the virtual server. I'd also disable both xp and virtual server firewall so you eliminate that as a reason for not being able to remote in.
CrossCech is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0