Network connection from a physical box to a virtual box

cloksin

Baseband Member
I have a PC with a 500GB USB drive attached. The box is running xp pro on a local network domain with an ip schema of 10.1.1.x. The box is setup for DHCP. On the removable drive I have MS Virtual Server installed with Server 2003 setup as a DNS server with a different domain than the physical box and an ip schema of 10.10.10.x. The virtual box is set to static ip at 10.10.10.1. the subnet mask for both is 255.255.255.0. I can access the virtual box through my browser, but I would like to use remote desktop to access the virtual box. What do I need to do to make the physical box be able to communicate to the virtual box.

if you're running your network on a single home router then you probably need to configure the router to port forward 3389 to allow for Remote Desktop traffic. I'm curious though about why you selected to run your virtual server on a different subnet 10.10.10.x rather than 10.1.1.x as your xp pro is running on. You're going to run into issues NATing from 10.1.1.x to 10.10.10.x on a router that only recognizes 10.1.1.x.

I would reassign an address to your virtual server with something from the 10.1.1.x subnet ... would solve 95% of your problem. The other 5% would be the port forwarding of port 3389.

This isn't a home network, it's a work network. That's why I changed the IP scheme. My physical box is on the company's network, and I didn't want to interfere with that network. the reason I have the virtual server setup is so that I can run tests with MOSS 2007, which we are looking to roll out sometime in the next year. I don't have access to the router's settings, that's handled by someone else who happens to be very teritorial over his responsibilities. What I would like to be able to do is first, access the virtual server through remote desktop, and then access any sharepoint sites I setup from the browser on my physical box.

The 10.10.10.x subnet still presents a problem. You're unable to ping 10.10.10.1 (XP box) from your computer ... right? I would just assign a 10.1.1.x address to the XP box and also assign one for the virtual server and ensure that remote desktop access is enable on the virtual server. I'd also disable both xp and virtual server firewall so you eliminate that as a reason for not being able to remote in.

Back
Top Bottom