Network Card or USB?

Shantei

In Runtime
For conecting to the internet router, I'm assuming a network card would be much more effective for the job.

However, can people explain to me the pros and cons of either one please?

Thanks!

not sure what you mean exactly ... so ill explain wired and wireless.
you could go wired and get a network card (then plug in via ethernet cable). its fast, reliable and cheap.
next option is wireless, either via a pci network card (said to be more reliable than usb, but involves taking your pc's side panel off to install it). the easiest, and the option id suggest is a wireless usb adapter. its quick and easy to setup, and works great.

You really have to look at the connection speed. Yes, it's true you probably won't get much more than 54mbs...actually, you won't even get close to it, but if you're sharing files then you might wanna go for some quicker. As far as the difference, I've had a friend who has had both...I used his computer with both on and you can't really notice a difference. The USB is much better as it's quicker to move around.

if you are just surfing the internet, then it doesn't really matter what type of card you get, because all of them have speed limits higher than you will ever get across the internet.

so what are the ranges on these wireless cards. i am working on getting one for my computer. pci. it is like 1 story up and 30 feet away though a floor and some walls.

our router says "54 mbps wireless" on it. and has 4 ports and a antenna

Well you have to look at the cards. I think they're classified as 'a', 'b', 'g' or 'n'. And if I'm not mistaken 'n' is a longer range.

nevermind i found eveything out myself. my router works with any 802.11g card. it is a wireless G router. and it puts out about 50 meters of singal.

this card should work

i have both, network card works better for some reason, maybe because it has a moveable antenna, usb works ok for when im close to router but if i go into another room ithe light goes out and says not conected. so network card is better

not sure what you mean exactly ... so ill explain wired and wireless.
you could go wired and get a network card (then plug in via ethernet cable). its fast, reliable and cheap.
next option is wireless, either via a pci network card (said to be more reliable than usb, but involves taking your pc's side panel off to install it). the easiest, and the option id suggest is a wireless usb adapter. its quick and easy to setup, and works great.

I would disagree as I use to have a USB wifi USB adapter and it just broke after about 3-4 months. Pci wireless cards are very fast and reliable though.

Back
Top Bottom