netgear wifi

caretaker

Beta member
Hello all,
I have just sent off from Virgin to install a new netgear wifi for my laptop xp.
After 3 hours on the phone to them they said it is my laptop as to old.
I then tried my daugters works laptop that she uses on wifi at home and other places and would not connect.
On the netgear hub I can connect a cable to two computers and get internet but no wifi.
I get a good signal on the wifi on both laptops but runs fine on the cable.
Do you think it is the netgear hub?
The man on the phone tried all differant settings but was stumped, they also sent me a new modem but no luck.
Any advise would be a help.
Reg

It's hard to understand your explaining of the problem.

When connected to wifi, what does your ip, dns and gateway read?

Caretaker - As david said, it is hard to understand with the way you explained things... First you talk about a hub, which most hubs are not wireless (which is why they sale wireless access points (similar to a hub, but for wireless/wifi)), then you talk about getting a new modem; again not wifi, or wireless, well normally, you can get the 2wire modems that also have wireless capabilities though they are not that great....
If you are talking about a router, then I suggest a few things here... Either the windows zeroconfig service is not running, the wireless NIC (network interface card) is mal-configured, the router is mal-configured, there are virus/spyware causing problems, the router's firmware needs to be flashed, or the router needs to be replaced....
The only thing that could be old may be the NIC, in which case the NIC is not able to connection with the right frequencies or channels... Otherwise, unless your laptop is from the late 1980's or early 1990's, the laptop is not the problem... Being the fact that your daughter's laptop is not working either, brings me to believe that one of the fore mentioned possibilities is what is going on..

Thanks for the advise and tips, as you can see I am not much good at computers.
What I think I will do is just use the ethernet cables to my 2 computers and run a cable to the next room for my daughter to plug her laptop in.
Just one little question, I have at work some ethernet or are they Lan cables, look like telphone leads but not.
I have yellow ones that work but have come across a blue lead the colors at the ends look the same in the same order as the yellow ones but the cable is a lot longer and will reach to the next room easy.
I must admit I did not wont wifi in the first place but was talked in to it.
I would also like to appologise for not explaining my problem so well but it has taken me one year to master Excel at work.
So is blue ok to use?
Reg

Back
Top Bottom