Net Send Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostyou

Solid State Member
I sent a message via netsend. It looks like this....

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\HWHL_BC1.FF001187>net send * "anyone home?"
The message was successfully sent to domain WORKGROUP.

C:\Documents and Settings\HWHL_BC1.FF001187>

So how do I find out who the WORKGROUP is? What commands would I issue via command prompt?

When I do net view this is what comes up....

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\HWHL_BC1.FF001187>cd
C:\>net view
Server Name Remark

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
\\FF001187
\\FF001200
The command completed successfully.

C:\>

I'm a little confused on how to find out who is all hooked up with this system and how do find the WORKGROUP domain. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

I think that you go into my network places and then view the local workgroup. then it should show you all the computers on the network. Otherwise i wouldnt try, you probably know what computers there are. watch out with thoses messages cus someone at school got the police cus they dont that.

When I do that it just tells me that there are two computers hooked up.
One is FF001187 and the other is FF0012.

I am in my apts bussiness center when I'm doing this by the way.

How do I check if the other computer recieved the messages? Would it just show up on the screen?

Yes it just pops up in the middle of the screen in a dialog box with an ok button. Do you know the physical location of the other computers?

i think he was implying that you can just grab an IP and find someones physical address. The best you can do is find their longitude and latitude. If he has access to which apartments have which IP address (apartment LAN im assuming) he should be able to look up which apartments have which IP. If they all use their own ISP...that makes things a little more dificult

Zderadicka said:
Do you know the physical location of the other computers?

Steven11 said:
No i dont think you can find the physical location, in fact you cannot.

Dude what are you jabbering about, You say he cant possibly know the location of these computers? He said that he is in his apt business center. Could the other two comps possibly be located in the same builiding? And all I did was ask him if he knew where the computers were. And WTH would a wireless connection have to do with this???? Anywayz, you are arguing nothing.

To add on to what he was asking in the first place. I dont think that workgroups span accross subnets, so I think he would probably be on a LAN. He could be sure of this by checking his IP address, looking for: 192.168.x.x or 10.10.x.x or something in that sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom