Need a wireless bridge...and advice on how to network it with existing setup!

To answer the question of how simple or difficult it is to install DD-WRT: it all depends on the hardware. Some hardware you have to take extra steps beyond just using the original firmware's "update firmware" tool. In fact, there are some hardware where you have to utilize tftp to flash, which can be difficult for a novice.
Once you know the model #, the Router Database at the link Atomic gives above will/should direct you to a spelled out step-by-step guide on flashing your specific hardware, as well as which version of the firmware can be installed. My advice? I would find an older wireless router that DD-WRT's database confirms works with the firmware and practice flashing with it before trying it out on your newer hardware. Read, re-read, and re-read again all instructions before trying. :)

Well, guess what guys, I don't even have to worry about DD-WRT now because Newegg has a 24 hour sale. I bought 2 TEW637s for $25 a piece!

I'll let everyone know how it works out. Thanks for all the help, as always.

Well, I guess that maybe I wasn't clear or we all were mistaken but the TEW637 isn't going to work. I got them Friday and all they do is extend the range of the wireless or wired network. It has no ability to "give" a wired internet connection. Which is what I needed. Because I'm buying a f-ing wireless adapter for the 2 computers. FML.

F it. I'm just going to use my Wireless N adapter for now and then "rig" it to output that connection through the LAN to my old Linksys router (not like I'm using it anyways) and then I'll be able to wire from that to the classroom desktop, projector, and then I'll wire it to the TEW637 to boost the N network.

Back
Top Bottom