Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Networking | DNS
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-20-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
Beta Member

Question Need to setup a LAN between windows 7 home basic and windows xp pro? plz help!

Hi,
I have a laptop running windows 7 home basic and a desktop running windows XP professional. I've already tried and succeeded setting up a simple file-sharing network a year ago when my laptop was also running XP with all that IP address settings and stuff. I recently bought windows 7 home basic and am very confused on how to connect both my laptop n the desktop for simple file sharing . Please explain the process step by step and enlighten me!

kaparthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Need to setup a LAN between windows 7 home basic and windows xp pro? plz help!

I tried doing this same thing a while back....I failed. I couldn't get any connection, thou it runs through the same router for internet access.

detox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
Beta Member

Default Re: Need to setup a LAN between windows 7 home basic and windows xp pro? plz help!

To set up a peer-to-peer network, it's just a few straightforward steps:

- a crossover cable isn't needed for newer Ethernet NICs

- On the Win 7 PC, on the Network and Sharing Centre, set the IP address to 192.168.1.1 As this is a Class C private address, set the subnet mask address to 255.255.255.0 Also set the workgroup to Home.

- On the XP PC, set the IP address to 192.168.1.2 (with the appropriate subnet mask address). Set the workgroup to Home also. Right-click on the folder you want to share, and click Sharing. A hand will appear under the folder, meaning that it will be ready for sharing.

- On the Win 7 machine, in Start-Run, type in 192.168.1.2 You then should be able to see the shared folder from the XP machine, and can drag in folder/files if needs be.
mammadon is offline   Reply With Quote