Need help with cable modem

cavemangrinder

Fully Optimized
Hey there. I am in need of some help here. I am a complete noob when it comes to networking, which is why I feel the need to explain myself in these cheap diagrams :eek: . Anyway, what I am basically trying to do is replace my old router with a new one that I bought today (linksys). I thought everything would go by smoothly, but I have run into a problem with my cable modem. Look below:

Current setup
works.jpg

As you can see in this pic, I am currently physically connected to my current (old) router via ethernet and I am connected just fine. But......(see diagram 2)

This is the problem
doesntwork.jpg

When I try and connect directly from the cable modem, I get a message saying "Limited or no connectivity" and of course cannot get any internet access. I have already tried resetting the modem and rebooting the PC, as well as the repair function for the Lan connection.

Anyone have any suggestions or know whats up with it? I am running Windows XP Home Edition SP3 and have Roadrunner.

What is the box that the cable coming from the wall is plugged into?
That cable should be going to the cable modem.

You need a router between the modem and your computer or you have to manually set the IP setting for your computer as required by the modem.

There is no point in having the "splitter." Just connect the cable TV cable to the modem, then from the modem to the router then to your computers. If you need to connect more computers than the router has ports, use a switch.

Revised.jpg

Here with a switch, so you can connect more computers:

Revised_2.jpg

Ooops, one computer isn't hook up...

That is where the problem is my friend. If you look at the 2nd pic, the ethernet port of the modem doesnt give me a connection, a switch or router will not connect properly. The old router that is currently connected is not connected to the modem by ethernet, its simply connected straight through coaxial, same as the modem. That is how I am able to get online. I dont need to connect more computers, I am simply trying to connect straight through the modem.

OK, your router may be what I think is called a gateway. Basically a router and modem built into one device. If that is the case, you don't need the modem. Just connect as you have in your first diagram, except you can take the splitter out of line.

Revised3.jpg

You were right man. The router I had was a modem/router and the cable modem was for telephone! lol. Anyway, after being on the phone with Roadrunner customer service for an hour, I decided to go out and buy a cable modem and router. Everything is sweet now, woohoo! Thanks for you help man.

Cool! Glad you got things squared away!

I'm going to have to use your example, a picture is worth a thousand words. Even if it is a quick drawing with paint.

Back
Top Bottom