Need advice, please help

TaylorJR

Beta member
My aunt lives on a nice place with a garage that is unattached to her house, it is her husband's play pen. Anyways for the longest time both of them have been paying internet bills for the house and their garage. Now they have finally realized technology allows for things like routers, so she sold her pc in her house, got a free wireless router sent to them and put it in her husbands garage. However, they have a very weak net gear router and I went over there this morning with my laptop (my aunt hasn't bought one yet) to see if the connection was streamline throughout the house for her. Out of a 5 bar connection, we only got 2 bars in the kitchen, which is located the closest to their unattached garage that sits next to their house across their drive way. So I was wondering how can you get at least a 200 yard connection through several concrete walls from their garage into all of their house ? Is there antennas you buy or a higher performance router ? Money isn't an issue since she will now be saving $60 a month by not paying for internet in their house only their garage. Also, is there a specific kind of laptop that gets wifi signal better than others ? I would love so much to get a good, real answer. This is my first computer forum and if everything works out I will keep coming back and maybe one day I'll be able to answer questions, thank you so much. -Taylor

Well, i suppose you could say that the 'better' wireless standard is 802.11n rather than 802.11g though this is because it's faster, not stronger. For a 200 yard connection through concrete, you would be better off running some cable (Cat5 or 5e) through drilled holes and using a few repeaters every 100m of cable you lay. This would be configured in either 10BASE-T, 100BASE-T or 1000BASE-T depending on the routers/switches you use.

My aunt lives on a nice place with a garage that is unattached to her house, it is her husband's play pen. Anyways for the longest time both of them have been paying internet bills for the house and their garage. Now they have finally realized technology allows for things like routers, so she sold her pc in her house, got a free wireless router sent to them and put it in her husbands garage. However, they have a very weak net gear router and I went over there this morning with my laptop (my aunt hasn't bought one yet) to see if the connection was streamline throughout the house for her. Out of a 5 bar connection, we only got 2 bars in the kitchen, which is located the closest to their unattached garage that sits next to their house across their drive way. So I was wondering how can you get at least a 200 yard connection through several concrete walls from their garage into all of their house ? Is there antennas you buy or a higher performance router ? Money isn't an issue since she will now be saving $60 a month by not paying for internet in their house only their garage. Also, is there a specific kind of laptop that gets wifi signal better than others ? I would love so much to get a good, real answer. This is my first computer forum and if everything works out I will keep coming back and maybe one day I'll be able to answer questions, thank you so much. -Taylor

Bro try and check maybe your trying to access near a fridge or a Microwave. If the kitchen is the closest room in the router then that maybe the reason why you don't have any signals. Because of Signal Interference. But that's just maybe. It won't hurt to try :)

Thank you DarkSeeker for your reply, it helps very much as we was talking about using cat5 cables since her husband has some cat5 in his garage. This would take some work though. :mad: She was hoping technology could intervene!

Also DarkSeeker or anyone who can clarify what DarkSeeker means by 802.11n, is that used in the router or laptop ? Also would she need over a 10base-t cord if she only will be using the internet and stuff like microsoft office or watching videos.

Thank you DarkSeeker for your reply, it helps very much as we was talking about using cat5 cables since her husband has some cat5 in his garage. This would take some work though. :mad: She was hoping technology could intervene!

Also DarkSeeker or anyone who can clarify what DarkSeeker means by 802.11n, is that used in the router or laptop ? Also would she need over a 10base-t cord if she only will be using the internet and stuff like microsoft office or watching videos.

802.11 is a networking standard.

it comes in a few different varieties,
type B uses 2.4GHz and transmits 11Mbps
type G uses 2.4GHz and transmits 54Gbps (so it's a bit faster)

type N uses either 2.4 or 5GHz, it has an even faster speed (but I can't remember what that is)...

here's the thing... the 5GHz frequency, whilst allowing faster data transfer speeds, as less range...
BUT, because iot's working on 5GHz rather than 2.4 it's going to get less interference...

your microwave, and cordless phones all work on 2.4GHz.

another thing that you can do is do a little site survey, see what other wireless networks are detectable in the area and pick a different channel number to your neighbours. (try to get the channels 5 numbers apart, so if your neighbour uses channel 1, you'll get the most interference using channel 1 also, slightly less with ch2, less with ch3 even less with channel 4, almost none with channel 5, channel 6 is completely outside of the channel spectrum of channel 1, so there will be no interference)...

also i meant to say 200 FEET not 200 yards!!!! so if this matters please reply also thankyou root i am squared away on the 802.11 and the 10/100/1000 BASE-T if nothing can give signal out to 200 feet!!

@root, some companies boast that theur N band routers can put out up to 600mb/s. Probably a tall claim, but ya know.

also, if the cable is only 200 feet, you might not have to use repeaters, since you can lay 100m of unshielded twisted pair cable before you need to use a repeater.

Back
Top Bottom