Need advice on best network for video conferencing

crossbone

Beta member
Hi,
I would like to set up a video conference between two computers in two homes that are 820-980ft apart. I need advice on a wireless solution to get the best and smoothest connection possible. One end of the computer does not have any internet connection while the other does. Both sides will be running Win OS. One suggestion is to purchase a prepaid internet service and use Skype or Google video chat since the video conference happens only occasionally. However, when it does happen it's usually 3-5 hours long and I'm afraid Skype or any internet based service may not be up to it(as far as smooth and uninterrupted streaming is concern.) Also I must add that the infrastructure here is 3rd world quality. Would a peer-to-peer network using a point-to-point wifi link work?
Anyway, I'm open to any suggestions.
Thanks!

Point to point wifi will likely only work if you have an unobstructed line of sight from one location to the other, i.e. no trees or other buildings in the way. There are wifi products that will easily cover those distances, so long as there's nothing in the way. So, if you do have something in the way, you'd need to put the antennas on a pole that is high enough to see over the obstructions. The longer range wifi gear isn't cheap though. you'd need something like this on both ends: https://www.amazon.com/Crane-Super-...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B004UR72IM

and that's indoor only. If your line of sight is blocked, you'd need something that is weather proof to put on top of a pole. I've heard good things about ubiquiti products.

Thanks. I'm thinking Mikrotik RBSXT5HacD2n. It is dualband at 2.4GHz and 5GHz. The latter freq is less prone to absorption and interference and is used as a bridge between two units. Anyone with experience with this unit? Or any other for that matter.
Thanks.

That's weird, it says it's has ac wifi, but only has a 10/100 ethernet port. Theres no way that'll get full speed ac connections.

well, yeah, 802.11 is the IEEE spec# for wifi, and the letters that come after it represent the revisions. so 802.11a, b, g, n, ac, ad (etc) are the different specifications that the engineers came up with. usually they designate different speeds (11mbps, 150mbps, etc), bands(2.4ghz, 5ghz, 60ghz), number of simultaneous antennas/beamforming.

Ethernet is 802.3, and what i meant by you not being able to reach full speeds, is that the ethernet will be the bottleneck in your transmission. since you'll only be able to push 100mbps (theoretical) on the ethernet, you won't be able to take advantage of the higher speeds of 802.11ac wifi which is capable of speeds over 1000mbps.

well... to be fair you can take advantage of local connections at that speed (two computers in the same room) and given the average BB speed is still only 12mbps a 100mbps port on the WAN side should be more than adequate for *most* home users...

is the land between the houses a street? or are these two houses on some privately owned property, (like you have your house and a separate building that some family live in?

it may be possible (and relatively cheap -at least compared to alternatives) to lay a thousand feet of fiber between the houses and have your second place with no internet connection share the first. (mikrotek do a bunch of really cheap devices that you could fit fibre SFPs into.)

Your video conferencing options all require *some kind of* server, AFAIK there are no peer to peer solutions.

Back
Top Bottom